TT: Rotation "horserace" becomes clearer

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Of course I agree with Lopez history.  But Holt is the x factor here.  He is trying to turning around Matt Harvey by changing his mechanic and pitches.  He is trying to chance Lopez with a more aggressive mental approach. Will it work?  I don't know.   In any case, Akin has to go 5 to 6 innings per start to win and hold onto a starting role IMO.

Hold up.

Let's not give Holt too much credit here.

The Orioles signed Harvey on the 17th of February.

This article, showing that Harvey had already been working at the Baseball Performance Center, came out on the 11th.

https://pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/high-school/former-mets-star-matt-harvey-trying-to-get-career-back-on-track-at-bpc-must/article_4d53d08a-6be1-5d02-b43d-bc58980264d1.html

Harvey flew to New Jersey from his Florida home Monday. BPC used its state of the art technology to assess his delivery and pitches. Adams worked with Harvey, as did BPC physical therapist Ryan Buccafurni and data analyst Mike DeCicco.

“It was kind of an all-hands-on-deck thing,” Charlton said.

Harvey finished his time at BPC with an 80-pitch bullpen session Wednesday.

“We just kept tinkering with things,” Charlton said, “trying to get the ball to spin the way it was when he was elite. We ended up discovering he could throw a power sinker at the same speed as his four-seam fastball. That’s kind of a new weapon that he found.”

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Hold up.

Let's not give Holt too much credit here.

The Orioles signed Harvey on the 17th of February.

This article, showing that Harvey had already been working at the Baseball Performance Center, came out on the 11th.

https://pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/high-school/former-mets-star-matt-harvey-trying-to-get-career-back-on-track-at-bpc-must/article_4d53d08a-6be1-5d02-b43d-bc58980264d1.html

You're too late.   Matt Harvey is already giving Holt and Holmes a lot of credit.

https://www.masnsports.com/videos/2021/03/matt-harvey-after-second-start-of-the-spring.html

• Thanks 1

Just now, wildcard said:

You're too late.   Matt Harvey is already giving Holt and Holmes a lot of credit.

https://www.masnsports.com/videos/2021/03/matt-harvey-after-second-start-of-the-spring.html

First off what guy trying to make a team isn't going to be complimentary.

Secondly, and by far more importantly, I said "too much credit".  Holt isn't the only guy involved here so you should spread around the kudos.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off what guy trying to make a team isn't going to be complimentary.

Secondly, and by far more importantly, I said "too much credit".  Holt isn't the only guy involved here so you should spread around the kudos.

Yea but Holt is the only guy who developed great pitching in the Houston system..err wait, nevermind.

Oh well, maybe he has magic dust only for Os pitchers?

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't see why he wouldn't. He made 25 starts in 2018 and 24 starts over 25 games in 2019. He is not slight of frame and should be able to handle a starters workload this year.

There was a 2.5 month shutdown last year. He hardly threw any innings. Not that said I heard an interview with him and he certainly got more innings in than his stat line would show. The guys weren’t goofing off during that time but it also isn’t the same. 

I just don’t see the Orioles pushing hard on these guys coming off last year. This isn’t about his body type to me, just a general thought.  

I would like to see Lopez potentially used as an opener, maybe to put in front of some of the lefties who don't go particularly deep (e.g., Akin, Zimmerman, Leblanc).

I think the last spot is between Leblanc and Zimmerman. Zimmerman probably deserves it, but I could see them optimizing for keeping guys around and have Leblanc break with the team as the fifth starter, then Zimmerman is the first guy up to spot start or replace someone in the rotation for injury and effectiveness.

3 hours ago, LTO's said:

Any reason why you say this? He has 11 strikeouts this spring after having a 12.3 SO/9 last year. His 2021 projections are universally better than Kremer's and only slightly worse than John Means'. With Elias/Holt running the show the way they do, they are going to deal with the bumps along the way when the K numbers are that good. Especially from the left side.

I don’t see what the point of keeping Lopez is unless they start him. He is stretched out. Give him 6-8 starts and see what he can do. Getting inconsistent work in the pen for a guy with no options left doesn’t make much sense to me. Zimmerman to me has forced his way on the team and the rotation. 

I have no expectations for either but my mindset is give both a look now and you always have other options down the road. 

I’m not bailing on Akin just think from a timing standpoint give looks to some other guys for now. The odds all 5 are productive and/or healthy as we go along are pretty slim. 

28 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

There was a 2.5 month shutdown last year. He hardly threw any innings. Not that said I heard an interview with him and he certainly got more innings in than his stat line would show. The guys weren’t goofing off during that time but it also isn’t the same. 

I just don’t see the Orioles pushing hard on these guys coming off last year. This isn’t about his body type to me, just a general thought.

So your contention is that nobody will make 28+ starts in 2021?

Or at least nobody that wasn't already a fulltime MLB starter in 2019, so nobody that was or will be a rookie in 2020 or 2021?

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What has Lopez done to earn 6-8 starts?  Of course he should be in the pen, at best.  

He’s not quite as bad as you seem to think, but I’d certainly start the season with Akin in the rotation over Lopez.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s not quite as bad as you seem to think, but I’d certainly start the season with Akin in the rotation over Lopez.   

He’s not?  He has been pretty awful in his career and he’s not exactly young.  

How “good” is he?

56 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

So your contention is that nobody will make 28+ starts in 2021?

Or at least nobody that wasn't already a fulltime MLB starter in 2019, so nobody that was or will be a rookie in 2020 or 2021?

How many rookie SP in MLB have made 30 starts in the last decade?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

What has Lopez done to earn 6-8 starts?  Of course he should be in the pen, at best.  

What is the point in keeping him in the pen unless you think he can turn into a Wade Davis? You can’t option him and he wouldn’t be getting consistent work.  

I have zero expectations for him but my attitude is if you are going to keep him start him. This team isn’t going anywhere. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

What is the point in keeping him in the pen unless you think he can turn into a Wade Davis? You can’t option him and he wouldn’t be getting consistent work.  

I have zero expectations for him but my attitude is if you are going to keep him start him. This team isn’t going anywhere. 

I don’t understand the point of this question. The point in keeping him is as a long man/mop up duty type guy.