McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That said, I'm a bit peeved that Witt and Vaughn have way more plate appearances.  We discussed this yesterday, but I was hoping AR would get significantly more playing time in games this spring.  There's no real reason he shouldn't be.

I think this is almost all the 2021 White Sox and Royals not punting on this season.    We've always known what the 2021 Orioles are.

You know what will be fun....if Vaughn is the #6 hitter on an October run, and Adley's going to the Arizona Fall League.

To be clear, I feel this is just deployment, not talent.   In July 2019 Adley an easy pick.   The NCAA Class of 2019 guys are in maybe the weirdest spot of all the COVID-affected demographics; they're 23 and we just don't know yet.   

Asset maximization, bad spring and all my guess is we'll still give Severino more like 70/30 reps than even share with Sisco as he's more likely to build a smidge of trade value.   An Iglesias-like deal and an Adley call up could be a good week in early summer.

3 hours ago, scOtt said:

SSS. They slow-played Brooks. Some.

But the Nats have been very successful in slow-playing phenoms Harper, Strassburg, Trae Turner, Rendon, and Juan Soto.  Well actually, they didn't do that with any of them, and they all helped them win zillions of games while quickly developing into outstanding players.  Who'dathunkit?       

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, I listened to McGregor’s remarks.   He’s retired now and not with the O’s in any official capacity.   I’m pretty sure he said he was in Tennessee at the time of the interview.   Hence, he’s not making first hand observations about how Rutschman has looked this spring.

The interview had a few interesting points.  McGregor definitely comes off as one of those “back in my day everything was better” guys.    But, he talked about how Palmer trained all the young pitchers to watch the games very intently and learn from what they were seeing.   He said that he and Flanagan were always paying close attention, but Martinez not so much in those days.   He talked about how Weaver really wanted to get Steve Stone, and once they had him, they cut his repertoire from 5-6 pitches to 3.     He really likes Zach Pop’s stuff, didn’t like Gray Fenter’s mental makeup.   He pretty much said the O’s were making a mistake not letting Pop use his sinker.   He’s very high on Means and Tanner Scott.   

Here’s the link again.   The Rutschman part starts at about 18:30.   https://pressboxonline.com/2021/03/16/talking-baseball-with-former-orioles-lhp-scott-mcgregor/

Glad you read it.  Now you can't say "all I have is wildcard’s report of what he said and I have no idea what it’s based on."

I see you changed your post.   For what ever that is worth. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

This comment annoys me on several levels.  

First of all, please give a link to your post where you pointed to where on the video the comment about Rutschman was made.    It’s not in this thread, and on a quick search I didn’t find it.    So if you posted that, you hid it pretty well and I didn’t catch it.  I do see a place where you pointed to a remark about Zach Pop, but not about Rutschman.    

Second, not all of us have time all day every day to click on every link in every thread.   So if I missed it, I don’t apologize for it.   

As it happens, before reading your post quoted here, I decided to try to listen to the video while I worked (yes, I do have a job).    The video is 36 minutes long and the Rutschman remark is buried about halfway through it.    Really, it completely distracted me from my work.    So I’ve drunk the water, dammit!  And not because you led me there!

Be annoyed all you want.  You said "as to McGregor’s comments, all I have is wildcard’s report of what he said and I have no idea what it’s based on."    I posted a link  along with my report on McGregor's comments.   What report of mine  are you talking about if you did not read my report with the link?

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

But the Nats have been very successful in slow-playing phenoms Harper, Strassburg, Trae Turner, Rendon, and Juan Soto.  Well actually, they didn't do that with any of them, and they all helped them win zillions of games while quickly developing into outstanding players.  Who'dathunkit?       

The one year at a level works with some players, but special players should not need that. Teams have been slow rolling players for years because of the rules allow them to keep them to up to 10 years after being drafted before they can reach free agency.

If they dropped that to 8 years of control for players drafted at 19 and younger, and six years for players 20 and older whether they play in the minors or majors, we'd see a lot more young players playing in the major leagues.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Be annoyed all you want.  You said "as to McGregor’s comments, all I have is wildcard’s report of what he said and I have no idea what it’s based on."    I posted a link  along with my report on McGregor's comments.   What report of mine  are you talking about if you did not read my report with the link?

Look, you are getting the wrong impression here.   Immediately after I made my initial post where I said “all I have is wildcard’s report,” I went back to the OP and saw that it was Tony, not you, who had reported that McGregor had made this comment, and that Tony had posted a link to the interview (but had not specified where on the recording the statement about Rutschman was made).   So, the first thing I did was to delete the reference to “wildcard’s report.”   The second thing I did was to listen to all 36 minutes of the interview.    The third thing I did was to post my own reaction to the interview along with another copy of the link and a note about where the statement about Rutschman was on the tape.   And then the last thing I did was read all the posts that had been added to the thread during the hour or so that I was listening to the interview and doing the write up.   So that’s when I saw your post about “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.”    So that’s why I reacted as I did.   

I am still confused - did you actually make a post somewhere pointing out where in the interview McGregor made that remark about Rutschman?

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Look, you are getting the wrong impression here.   Immediately after I made my initial post where I said “all I have is wildcard’s report,” I went back to the OP and saw that it was Tony, not you, who had reported that McGregor had made this comment, and that Tony had posted a link to the interview (but had not specified where on the recording the statement about Rutschman was made).   So, the first thing I did was to delete the reference to “wildcard’s report.”   The second thing I did was to listen to all 36 minutes of the interview.    The third thing I did was to post my own reaction to the interview along with another copy of the link and a note about where the statement about Rutschman was on the tape.   And then the last thing I did was read all the posts that had been added to the thread during the hour or so that I was listening to the interview and doing the write up.   So that’s when I saw your post about “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.”    So that’s why I reacted as I did.   

I am still confused - did you actually make a post somewhere pointing out where in the interview McGregor made that remark about Rutschman?

No, I posted on what McGregor said about Pop.  And the link to his interview.    It doesn't take a brain surgery or a lawyer to know that the Rutschman comments were in the the same interview.  

You said you read my post on what McGregor said so I thought you had the link also.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

No, I posted on what McGregor said about Pop.  And the link to his interview.    It doesn't take a brain surgery or a lawyer to know that the Rutschman comments were in the the same interview.  

You said you read my post on what McGregor said so I thought you had the link also.

I don’t normally watch 36 minute long interviews in the middle of the day so that I can hunt down a 15-second comment about a player.    Though as a matter of fact, I broke down and did it in this case.

• Upvote 2