McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You can say that all you want, still not the same thing.  And it's not like any of us really know what happened there.  All we have are some reports from various guys that cover the team.  Yes, they all said that Adley was great.  Doesn't mean he's totally ready for the majors.  

If Adley struggled with anything at all, I doubt they would have reported it anyway.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If Adley struggled with anything at all, I doubt they would have reported it anyway.

I dunno, they don't get brownie points for lying.  I believe the reports to be true.  

I don't think what he did at the alternate site is as valuable as real games, though.  But let's roll with that idea because it makes us feel better.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Would depend on who got a hold of the information.  Obviously the O's or MASN wouldn't say anything.  But if someone whispered sweet nothings into Keith Law's ear?

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno, they don't get brownie points for lying.  I believe the reports to be true.  

I don't think what he did at the alternate site is as valuable as real games, though.  But let's roll with that idea because it makes us feel better.

Once again, no one is saying that.

At least about Adley.

I think Gunnar probably got more out the instructs than he would have playing in the low minors.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You can say that all you want, still not the same thing.  And it's not like any of us really know what happened there.  All we have are some reports from various guys that cover the team.  Yes, they all said that Adley was great.  Doesn't mean he's totally ready for the majors.  

Therein lies the rub.

What does ready for the majors mean?

Does it mean as polished as possible?

Does it mean can he finish learning at the ML level while providing value to the ML team in excess of current options?

I'll agree he isn't "totally" ready, but who is?  Nothing you see in the minors is going to "totally" prepare a hitter for some of the absolute filth major league pitchers throw.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once again, no one is saying that.

You brought it up like it was something.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Therein lies the rub.

What does ready for the majors mean?

Does it mean as polished as possible?

Does it mean can he finish learning at the ML level while providing value to the ML team in excess of current options?

I'll agree he isn't "totally" ready, but who is?  Nothing you see in the minors is going to "totally" prepare a hitter for some of the absolute filth major league pitchers throw.

Ah, the CoC Gambit.  You can never be wrong when living in the abstract. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

You brought it up like it was something.

Ah, the CoC Gambit.  You can never be wrong when living in the abstract. 

It is something.

It just isn't directly analogous to games. 

I had no idea I had my own Gambit, (capitalized even) neat!

You are the one that used the word totally.  Stupid word choice.

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Obsess over what you might do?  Beat your feet in those Birkenstocks, boomer!  You need to run away from those narcissistic tendencies.

I don't think (obviously IMO) that he's quite "totally" ready for that!  But Vaughn is!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Obsess over what you might do?  Beat your feet in those Birkenstocks, boomer!  You need to run away from those narcissistic tendencies.

You need me to send you some foot shots?  Is that a thing for you?  You mention my choice of footwear often enough that I'm starting to think it is.

It's OK, I don't judge.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

I don't think (obviously IMO) that he's quite "totally" ready for that!  But Vaughn is!

Some think the White Sox are the team to beta in that Division. If we could say the same thing about the Orioles, I might have been more interested in Rutschman getting a real look at making the team, particularly since the Orioles catching situation is one of their weaknesses right now. 

Alas, the Orioles have a better chance of losing 100 games than competing so it makes no sense to start Rutschman in Baltimore when he hasn't shown he's ready yet.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And a half season of intense personalized attention.

Yes, and I agree that’s worth something.   I’d be disappointed if Rutschman needed 542 professional PA before he was ready for the majors, for that reason.   But you asked how long it took for Posey to reach the majors, so I answered.

I do think performance during those at bats matters.   The year after he was drafted, Posey started in A+ and posted a .967 OPS in 80 games there.  The Giants decided to jump him right to AAA and he OPS’d .902 there.   That’s what earned him his September call-up. He didn’t hit well in that brief exposure and so he spent 47 more games in the minors in 2010 to the tune of .995 OPS.    He really made a pretty irrebuttable case that he was ready.    

I think if Rutschman puts up similar numbers, I’d be pretty comfortable calling him up in June or July.    But if he’s at .750 OPS I’d be in no hurry to push him.   Of course it also depends on what he shows defensively, and how he’s looking at the plate regardless of what the numbers say.    But June/July is my hoped for timetable.    The lack of MiL games in April might push it back to July/August.    

• Upvote 1