Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This conservative promotion stuff is killing me.   Henderson 3 levels in one year.  Stowers 3 levels in one year.   Can't anyone do 4 levels in one year?    JK

Westburg too. The whole thing has been totally overblown even if I get that fans are impatient. 

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Westburg too. The whole thing has been totally overblown even if I get that fans are impatient. 

I think most fans have no idea who our minor leaguers are, what their backgrounds are, or how many levels they’ve played at.  

Elias was conservative with his initial placements so it’s not surprising that a few players got promoted twice this year.   That said, with the exception of Grayson Rodriguez most players are at the appropriate level by now (I’m excluding Adley, who’s at the right level if he’s going to be in the minors).   

I don’t think Henderson wouid be at Bowie now if there wasn’t a pennant race going on.  IMO this is about having an extra bat available for a short period in case it’s needed, not something they are doing for Henderson’s development.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think most fans have no idea who our minor leaguers are, what their backgrounds are, or how many levels they’ve played at.  

Elias was conservative with his initial placements so it’s not surprising that a few players got promoted twice this year.   That said, with the exception of Grayson Rodriguez most players are at the appropriate level by now (I’m excluding Adley, who’s at the right level if he’s going to be in the minors).   

I don’t think Henderson wouid be at Bowie now if there wasn’t a pennant race going on.  IMO this is about having an extra bat available for a short period in case it’s needed, not something they are doing for Henderson’s development.  

I believe Melewski tweeted earlier today that Vavra may be out with a hip injury.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Right, but the "conservative" placement of some of the prospects was entirely defensible from the beginning due to the lack of season last year. By fans, I mean those who post here. Probably more knowledgable than your average O's fan but still exhibit the same behaviors when things are frustrating at the big league level. You may think this isn't significant for Henderson but I'm not sure I agree. I think this means the internal data they have on him supports him being at AA to start next year (at 20 years old) which was anything from a certainty a few weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Bowie has what - 6 games left?  Ok.   

I think 7 is what the other thread says because of a Double header. Plus, 3-5 more if they make the playoffs. 

They are benching Dorrian for Gunnar. Dorrian is a guy that’s hit 20 HR this year in AA. 

It’s a nice reward for Gunnar and the Bowie fans. 

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think 7 is what the other thread says because of a Double header. Plus, 3-5 more if they make the playoffs. 

They are benching Dorrian for Gunnar. Dorrian is a guy that’s hit 20 HR this year in AA. 

It’s a nice reward for Gunnar and the Bowie fans. 

Where are you getting the information that Dorrian is being benched for Henderson?   If that’s just an assumption on your part, I doubt it’s correct.   I understand Vavra is hurt again and that’s the reason Henderson was promoted.   The Baysox really shuttle players around.  Last week Dorrian played 1B, 3B and DH.

• Upvote 1

I am curious to see if a Westburg-Henderson double play combo is tested.   I looked back at Baysox Saturday/Sunday boxes and they were using the very lovable, but very org guy Willy Yahn as the starting 2B both days.

If the thought is to bolster the week's roster for, gasp, maximizing AA wins, Yahn seems like a weaker link than Dorrian.

Except for SS, positioning is kind of making the other infielders just infielders.