Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

Over his last 8 games Henderson is batting .290/.421/.710/1.131 with 3 HR and a 7-10 BB-K ratio. I'm guessing they are giving him a little taste of AA  and gets him out of a tough hitters park in Aberdeen to end the year. 

Fun fact, Gunnar has hit against one pitcher for one plate appearance that was younger than him and hit hit a home run in that PA.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think 7 is what the other thread says because of a Double header. Plus, 3-5 more if they make the playoffs. 

They are benching Dorrian for Gunnar. Dorrian is a guy that’s hit 20 HR this year in AA. 

It’s a nice reward for Gunnar and the Bowie fans. 

Dorrian would probably move over to 1B if the Orioles decide to put Henderson or Westburg at 3B. I'd like to see Westburg at 2B and see what it looks like down the stretch.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Dorrian would probably move over to 1B if the Orioles decide to put Henderson or Westburg at 3B. I'd like to see Westburg at 2B and see what it looks like down the stretch.

I think Westburg is destined for 2B. Not only because of his arm and range, but also because of Henderson and Mayo.

14 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think Westburg is destined for 2B. Not only because of his arm and range, but also because of Henderson and Mayo.

Does Henderson have better range as a SS than Westburg?   Is Henderson a better or potentially better SS than Westburg?    Is Mayo 3B, Henderson SS, Westburg 2B, the only alignment that works?    Mayo sounds like it's 3B/1B/COF so 2B/SS is not an option for him.   Is 2B an option for Henderson down the road?   I would think you want your best defensive combination up the middle.   Are we sure Henderson SS/ Westburg 2B is that?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Does Henderson have better range as a SS than Westburg?   Is Henderson a better or potentially better SS than Westburg?    Is Mayo 3B, Henderson SS, Westburg 2B, the only alignment that works?    Mayo sounds like it's 3B/1B/COF so 2B/SS is not an option for him.   Is 2B an option for Henderson down the road?   I would think you want your best defensive combination up the middle.   Are we sure Henderson SS/ Westburg 2B is that?

I don't think anyone can be sure that Henderson SS/Westburg 2B will be the best combination, but that's what looks likely to me as of right now. Even with his errors this season, I think Gunnar is the potentially better SS.

What Gunnar's done with the bat at 2 years younger than Westburg is significant. And there's room for him to improve as a defender as well, which makes him the more likely of the two players to stick at SS, in my opinion.

58 minutes ago, Philip said:

Could he make it all the way to the big leagues by next season? Manny was promoted at just 20, and he did ok.

I think maturity wise, Gunnar is not there. When he got to Aberdeen, he was throwing bats, striking out looking, and his body language to the umpires, I'm surprised he didn't get tossed. If he can raise his emotional IQ, I'd have more faith. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JustLearning said:

I think maturity, Gunnar is not there. When he got to Aberdeen, he was throwing bats, striking out looking, and his body v vh vthe umpires, I'm surprised he didn't get tossed. If he can raise his emotional IQ, I'd have more faith. 

Ha.  There were a few emotional IQ moments for Manny after he got to the big leagues.  Just saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Ha.  There were a few emotional IQ moments for Manny after he got to the big leagues.  Just saying.

I hear ya, but the Os were in a pennant race and had a deep need at 3b….Certainly a different scenario here. With that being said, I sure would love to see him play well enough to make them think about it. At some point, with the group of middle infielders we have, it will be important to get them up in order to sort them out.