Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

The advantage of having Henderson in low A is that both him and Westburg can play SS every day, and develop defensively at that position. But there might be no holding back the bat. TBH Westburg is a high level college guy, it's not unreasonable to think he should be able to go to double A at some point this season. 

I'm of the mind that if your second best prospect is blocking your best prospect, you move him to make room for your best prospect.

Henderson is the O's best prospect at shortstop.  He shouldn't be being held back for anyone else. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get why he is still in low A.  It just doesn’t make much sense, especially considering he reportedly held his own so well in the camp last year.

What is the rush? I mean he now has just a month of at bats above the GCL. I don't put any stock into the results of the 2020 Alternate Sight, honestly. He made some progress, reportedly. Great. He needs a chance to prove it against other teams. The Orioles can gather data on Gunnar and aid in his development. Perhaps they think he needs a lot of work defensively. He's a 20 year old kid, no need to rush his progression. Let him dominate and grow into his game and mature. Phenom or not, rushing him can really be problematic. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm of the mind that if your second best prospect is blocking your best prospect, you move him to make room for your best prospect.

Henderson is the O's best prospect at shortstop.  He shouldn't be being held back for anyone else. 

Some say low A ball is about equivalent to the SEC. So Westburg has roughly three years experience in low A. Henderson has a month. Maybe, Henderson needs a lot of work on his defense; or maybe the Orioles are waiting for the league to adjust to Gunnar and see how he handles the adjustments after they get a book on him. 

No matter how badly fans want Henderson to be ahead of Westburg, he just is not there yet. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

What is the rush? I mean he now has just a month of at bats above the GCL. I don't put any stock into the results of the 2020 Alternate Sight, honestly. He made some progress, reportedly. Great. He needs a chance to prove it against other teams. The Orioles can gather data on Gunnar and aid in his development. Perhaps they think he needs a lot of work defensively. He's a 20 year old kid, no need to rush his progression. Let him dominate and grow into his game and mature. Phenom or not, rushing him can really be problematic. 

If you’re a phenom there is no problem in being rushed. Phenoms are phenoms. Gunnar might be just that and at some point it’s a disservice to him to not be challenged. He’ll be up soon. 

9 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Because, as a general rule, the younger a player is when he gets to the majors the more successful his career is.

Guys are in the majors at 20.

He isn't going to develop as quickly or as well if he isn't challenged.

13 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

His age is meaningless and they wouldn’t be rushing him.  Rushing a player doesn’t exist except in extreme cases.  That’s a made up thing for teams to keep players down.

The camp matters because he faced older competition, held his own and gained experience and maturity.

Sending him up a level or 2 will not hurt him one bit.  He needs a challenge.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because, as a general rule, the younger a player is when he gets to the majors the more successful his career is.

Guys are in the majors at 20.

He isn't going to develop as quickly or as well if he isn't challenged.

We do want these guys to be MLers right? Am I confusing things?  Are we going to win awards for “best MiL record” that mean something more than WS titles?  

This kid is special. I remember telling a friend that I thought he could be just as good as Adley before the season and he laughed at me. I'm not saying he will be, but I'm really excited to see if he can keep it up this year and where that might land him in the top 100 after the season. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We do want these guys to be MLers right? Am I confusing things?  Are we going to win awards for “best MiL record” that mean something more than WS titles?  

Pretty sure the goal is to get the top ranked farm system.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, survivedc said:

If you’re a phenom there is no problem in being rushed. Phenoms are phenoms. Gunnar might be just that and at some point it’s a disservice to him to not be challenged. He’ll be up soon. 

So, you have decided Gunnar is a phenom in a month of low A ball? The league has not even had a chance to make adjustments to him yet. He has not been challenged yet to counter-adjust. Ok, no point in going any further for me. 

Just now, Jammer7 said:

So, you have decided Gunnar is a phenom in a month of low A ball? The league has not even had a chance to make adjustments to him yet. He has not been challenged yet to counter-adjust. Ok, no point in going any further for me. 

I know you don't put stock into what he did in the Alternative Site but some of us do pay attention to what folks said about it.  If you do put stock into it then you have more than a month of low A ball to go off of.

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

A-I was going off of your saying “phenom or not” (which is why I quoted it). Assuming he is a phenom he should be moved up and he will (as any true phenom does) adjust.

B-you want to see him dominate. What do you call leading the league in homers, RBI’s and being top 5 in just about everything else?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

His age is meaningless and they wouldn’t be rushing him.  Rushing a player doesn’t exist except in extreme cases.  That’s a made up thing for teams to keep players down.

The camp matters because he faced older competition, held his own and gained experience and maturity.

Sending him up a level or 2 will not hurt him one bit.  He needs a challenge.

Age is relevant to his maturity, on and off the field. Handling the game and the pressures of the stardom, and failure. Age is relevant in that the youth is best served to play in MLB for a long time when he is ready to stay there. 

The league has not adjusted to him yet. They will, and I think that is what they are waiting for. For a guy who has worked in MLB, how are you getting carried away with a SSS of a month?

The camp was a sterile controlled setting. He worked on fundamentals, and yes, he faced some live pitching. But it was the same pitchers, over and over. 

They can move him up in early or mid-July. There is plenty of time. He can start AA in 2022 and move up from there. That would get him to Baltimore at age 22 in 2023. Again, what is your rush?

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Put another way: how long would you like him to stay in Delmarva? What does he need to do for him to earn a promotion?