Wells and Sceroler have made the Opening Day roster

MurphDogg

6 hours ago, ChipTait said:

I had to stop listening to the game after he fanned Judge and popped-up Hicks.  Two more innings of no-hit ball against the MFYs?  Hell to the YES!  Way to go, Mac!

He looks better than Sulser ever did IMO.  Here is Trezza's compilation of his pitches last night:

And video of his four K's!

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I liked all his pitches, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It’s one game.

Wait.  Are you saying that John Parish's first appearance was an outlier?

But for Mac, the guts, tenacity and four pitch mix is a nice SSS beginning.

• Upvote 1

While I was not for how he was brought into the game, Sceroler showed the nice four pitch mix that shows his potential as a starter down the road. His 100% WHIFF rate on all nine offspeed pitches that the Yankees swung out, including seven split changes is almost unheard of at the major league level. Pretty crazy numbers there. 

Getting swings and misses on your stuff is huge.

Now, the weird thing was Sceroler didn't get a ton of swing and misses in spring so maybe his stuff improved with the adrenaline of making his first major league appearance. 

Saying that,  I remember how different Mike Wright looked in his debut then he ever looked in the minors. 

Great start for the young man and I'm excited to see how his off-speed stuff plays in his next few outings to see if this outing was an outlier or if the Orioles really found something special.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Pretty crazy numbers there.  

Saying that,  I remember how different Mike Wright looked in his debut then he ever looked in the minors. 

I was having a great spring morning, nice up of coffee, birds singing outside, and you had to go and bring up Mike Wright. Morning, Ruined.

That said, to go into that stadium against that lineup, in that situation... wow, nice job, kid.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

While I was not for how he was brought into the game, Sceroler showed the nice four pitch mix that shows his potential as a starter down the road. His 100% WHIFF rate on all nine offspeed pitches that the Yankees swung out, including seven split changes is almost unheard of at the major league level. Pretty crazy numbers there. 

Now, the weird thing was Sceroler didn't get a ton of swing and misses in spring so maybe his stuff improved with the adrenaline of making his first major league appearance. 

Great start for the young man and I'm excited to see how his off-speed stuff plays in his next few outings to see if this outing was an outlier or if the Orioles really found something special.

Ben McDonald was saying on the broadcast that Mac had first been trying to be too perfect, to not make any mistakes in early camp.  He decided later in camp to let it all out and changed his attitude and his performance improved as a result.  He knew that this was perhaps his only chance to have a shot like this.

11 hours ago, ChipTait said:

I had to stop listening to the game after he fanned Aaron Judge and popped-up Aaron Hicks to get out of the bases-loaded, one-out jam in the 6th inning. He had 2 additional innings of no-hit ball against the MFY's ???  Hell to the YES !!!  Way to go, Mac !!!

o

Will Yankees Take Control OF YES Network Again? - The Jewish Voice

o

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I missed this..42% swingstr% is crazy.

Definitely encouraging but like you said, we need to see how he does in more outings.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, jabba72 said:

He definitely proved he belonged in the bullpen in his first ever appearance. Makes the decision not to keep Pop look a little better if Sceroler pitches like this in the BP all year. 

Speaking of Pop, he's got 1 clean inning under his belt so far this season.