2021 Ongoing Lineup Thread

interloper

It’s one game but I don’t get Hays in LF. He is wasted there. I know Means is starting so pull side but there is no ground to cover there. It’s turn around and play it off the wall  Play him in RF. 

Makes me think Rio will be at second a decent amount early unless Hyde is showing him respect because he is the veteran over Valaika and Urias. It may be that. 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s one game but I don’t get Hays in LF. He is wasted there. I know Means is starting so pull side but there is no ground to cover there. It’s turn around and play it off the wall  Play him in RF. 

Makes me think Rio will be at second a decent amount early unless Hyde is showing him respect because he is the veteran over Valaika and Urias. It may be that. 

Because Santander is in RF?

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s really bad.  That’s one ugly lineup, no matter the order.

Would rather have Ruiz batting lower, but in terms of overall batting talent in the lineup, I don’t think it’s so bad.  I know you are very low on both Mullins and Santander compared to most others.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Would rather have Ruiz batting lower, but in terms of overall batting talent in the lineup, I don’t think it’s so bad.  I know you are very low on both Mullins and Santander compared to most others.  

It’s not Santander...it’s Mullins, Ruiz, Franco, Galvis and Severino.

Even if Galvis and Franco are better than what they could have ran out there, it’s still ugly to see the whole thing down on paper. 

I can’t wait for the days where dreck like that is no longer taking up so many spots in the lineup.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One thought with Ruiz batting higher is taking him out late for defense. He gets cleared in the order sooner. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Even if Galvis and Franco are better than what they could have ran out there, it’s still ugly to see the whole thing down on paper. 

I can’t wait for the days where dreck like that is no longer taking up so many spots in the lineup.

I not as down on Mullins as you but I have my doubts he is anything more than a 4th/5th OF. That said perfect time to play him a lot and see what he can do. 

Adley solves C. Clearly the Inf is an issue until the kids arrive or they get aggressive in FA. Big year on the farm to see what they have down there 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We've been seeing the whole thing down on paper all spring, where ya been? 

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Imagine trying to come up with ways to keep a below average bat in the lineup.

It really is quite goofy to suggest you have to find a way to keep a guy with a career .288 WOBA (.318 is MLB avg) and it's not like his xWOBA of .290 makes us think he's just been unlucky. 

I really don't quite get the Ruiz love from Hyde and Elias.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s really bad.  That’s one ugly lineup, no matter the order.

According to what? Because it certainly isn't ugly relative to the rest of league. They were above league average in team OPS last year. They lost Alberto and his sub .700 OPS and replaced him with Franco. That's an upgrade. They lost Iglesias who had a good year but they are also getting Mancini back. At worst that's a wash with the addition of Galvis. The team is going to be bad but this lineup is certainly not that bad. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It really is quite goofy to suggest you have to find a way to keep a guy with a career .288 WOBA (.318 is MLB avg) and it's not like his xWOBA of .290 makes us think he's just been unlucky. 

I really don't quite get the Ruiz love from Hyde and Elias.

And not only that, are you putting him at a position where he can’t really succeed defensively?  

It’s just a very odd decision all around.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And not only that, are you putting him at a position where he can’t really succeed defensively?  

It’s just a very odd decision all around.

Sanchez must have really looked bad and/or been a problem otherwise. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Just from the candidates that are IN the lineup I'll take Hays. His arm is wasted there... not wasted but point taken. I'd still rather have Santander in right. And Mountcastle in left in Fenway? Pass.

Lefty Ruiz over righties Val and Urias. ;)

I wouldn't overreact to this line up or even the overall roster decisions too much.  In his first two opening days, Elias seemed to drag a little bit of Spring Training into the first few weeks of the season in order to make more roster decision shortly into the season.  What I mean, is that he has seemed to let some position/roster battles continue into the first few weeks of the season before making further cuts.  Jesus Sucre, Drew Jackson, Joey Rickard, Mike Wright, Nate Karns, and Pedro Arajuo in 2019 and Dwight Smith Jr, David Hess, Cody Carroll, and Kohl Stewart were all off the roster shortly after making the opening day rosters. Same will happen this year.