2021 Ongoing Lineup Thread

interloper

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s really bad.  That’s one ugly lineup, no matter the order.

Outside of Ruiz 5th, which is a real headscratcher even for a L-R lineup guy like myself, the lineup actually isn't that bad in my opinion. If Hays was batting 5th, I'd like the 1-5. 

Elias's failure to to find adequate catching and second base are really the only holes offensively and defensively. Severino is a steaky as a hitter and still could be ok for a bit and Ruiz has looked good early on before reality checks in and he becomes his normal below average self.

Galvis and Franco could be ok offensively.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Mountcastle DH'ing first game of the year, already. I dont know what to make of it except Hyde must really want Mullins glove in CF. I hope its not because they've given up on Mountcastle already. Ruiz at 2B, I haven't seen any ST or videos to know how that will work. We'll find out shortly. 

Well, the outfield defense they have out there is their best no doubt. I think we will see Mountcastle rotated between DH and LF with Hays moving to CF and RF to give Mullins an Santander a break. Santander may also rotate into that DH spot with Hays playing RF and Mountcastle in LF. 

The DH is going to be rotated through so I doubt we will see him there every game.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Outside of Ruiz 5th, which is a real headscratcher even for a L-R lineup guy like myself, the lineup actually isn't that bad in my opinion. If Hays was batting 5th, I'd like the 1-5. 

Elias's failure to to find adequate catching and second base are really the only holes offensively and defensively. Severino is a steaky as a hitter and still could be ok for a bit and Ruiz has looked good early on before reality checks in and he becomes his normal below average self.

Galvis and Franco could be ok offensively.

I don’t have any confidence in Mullins personally but we will see.

I don’t disagree that there are enough names to make it reasonable but it’s just ugly when you see those names on paper. Galvis, Franco, Mullins and Ruiz is just ugly even if they end up productive.  That’s essentially 4 castoffs.

You can add Severino to that group too.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Well, the outfield defense they have out there is their best no doubt. I think we will see Mountcastle rotated between DH and LF with Hays moving to CF and RF to give Mullins an Santander a break. Santander may also rotate into that DH spot with Hays playing RF and Mountcastle in LF. 

The DH is going to be rotated through so I doubt we will see him there every game.

Stewart being out leaves DH open.  

They could be trying Ruiz out at second to see if that justifies him staying on the team.  If he looks as bad as I (and you) expect him to, I don’t see him staying here.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Stewart being out leaves DH open.  

They could be trying Ruiz out at second to see if that justifies him staying on the team.  If he looks as bad as I (and you) expect him to, I don’t see him staying here.

I don't have an issue with trying him there, but it should have been done much more extensively this spring. 

If Valaikia and Urias were not your answers, then why were you not playing Ruiz there, especially once Franco was signed?

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, lineup looks about the best we can put out to, to me, not sure I understand the complaints. Obviously it's commensurate with a team that will be lucky to win 60 games, but aside from Ruiz 5th (lineup order, especially 5th or 6th-- do we really care?), it looks like basically our best lineup. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, lineup looks about the best we can put out to, to me, not sure I understand the complaints. Obviously it's commensurate with a team that will be lucky to win 60 games, but aside from Ruiz 5th (lineup order, especially 5th or 6th-- do we really care?), it looks like basically our best lineup. 

Which is sad.  

The sooner we get these AAAA/mediocre vets off the team the better.  

Im also not convinced we are better with Ruiz out there over Urias.

I look forward to Stewart being back and Mullins hopefully being a part timer (at best)

3 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

If the order doesn't matter like SG said it doesn't, then yeah I don't really see how it's a terrible lineup. Unless you somehow didn't know what the roster already was. Mountcastle, Mancini, Santander, Hays should all be very good. Franco and Mullins should be decent. The rest are the holes we already know about. Shrug?! Adley fixes one of the spots eventually, and 2B/SS is a problem until the young guys are ready but we already knew that and the outfield should more than make up for it. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Trust me, it's not that I think Valaika or Urias is so good they should be the full-time 2B, but the Orioles knew they needed a second baseman all winter and spring. Once Franco was signed, there is no doubt Ruiz should have started to play 2B more often if this was a possibility. 

Ruiz has two innings of major league experience at 2B, never played the position in the minors, and then gets two starts at the end of spring training and now he's the starting 2B? Seems like a poor plan if you ask me. 

This is the first time I have to question the leaderships foresight. This is almost like when Buck put Steve Pearce at 2B out of nowhere. 

Guess that whole defense up the middle thing can be put to bed now. Elias/Hyde just put a guy with almost zero experience at 2B on opening day. If this doesn't tell you that even Elias realizes his team is not going to be very good then I don't know what will tell you. 

It's just very rare to see a major league team do something like this, especially as quickl as this has come together.

It's pretty clear Elias gets an "F" for finding a 2B this offseason since he released Sanchez and has to put a slow third baseman there to start the year.

We're gonna play the shift.   Ruiz is gonna be in shallow RF.  But yeah....this is kinda F worthy.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Which is sad.  

The sooner we get these AAAA/mediocre vets off the team the better.  

Im also not convinced we are better with Ruiz out there over Urias.

I look forward to Stewart being back and Mullins hopefully being a part timer (at best)

I wonder if the improvement on offense that Santander-Hays-Stewart 1B + DH Mountcastle + Mancini supposes outweighs the superior defense of the current lineup.

That's from someone who likes Stewart. But I think it's something of a six in one hand half a dozen in the other situation. Best case is Mancini re-establishes value so he can be traded at the deadline and Stewart plugged into the DH/1B position with Mountcastle, and need to develop a CF long-term. 

Just now, Flash- bd said:

I wonder if the improvement on offense that Santander-Hays-Stewart 1B + DH Mountcastle + Mancini supposes outweighs the superior defense of the current lineup.

That's from someone who likes Stewart. But I think it's something of a six in one hand half a dozen in the other situation. Best case is Mancini re-establishes value so he can be traded at the deadline and Stewart plugged into the DH/1B position with Mountcastle, and need to develop a CF long-term. 

It’s possible...I think people are overrating Mullins defense in CF personally but I do agree that today’s defensive OF is better than Hays in CF and Mountcastle in LF.

I’m not even sold on Stewart but the lineup needs his OBP and power upside.  This isn’t a team with many guys who will get on base at a high clip.  

This lineup has a lot of potential for length if Sisco and Stewart can hit 240-270.  With their BB skills, that should give both a very solid OBP.