2021 Ongoing Lineup Thread

interloper

Wow, Ruiz at 2B. I can't for the life of me understand why Ruiz was not given more opportunities at 2B during the spring if this was an option. 

I like L-R balance but not a fan of batting Ruiz before Hays, especially when you just have two RHB back to back anyways with Hays and Franco. Much rather have Hays behind Mountcastle though I would have put Mancini there and Hays at #2.

I'm sure Ruiz must've of been doing some work at 2B behind the scenes, but could me as surprised that the Orioles had all spring to try Ruiz there and then decide at the very end to make him at least the left-handed part of a platoon at 2B.

I'm not sure Ruiz has the quickness to cover a ton of ground but I guess with the positioning nowadays that's not as important. 

On 4/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, interloper said:

Isn't there usually a lineup thread ??? 

o

There usually is ...... if you'd like, you can adjust the thread title to something like) "2021 Ongoing Lineup Thread"

o

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Wow, Ruiz at 2B. I can't for the life of me understand why Ruiz was not given more opportunities at 2B during the spring if this was an option. 

I like L-R balance but not a fan of batting Ruiz before Hays, especially when he still especially when you just have two RHB back to back anyways with Hats and Franco. Much rather have Hays behind Mountcastle though I would have put Mancini there and Hays at #2.

I'm sure Ruiz must've of been doing some work at 2B behind the scenes, but could me as surprised that the Orioles had all spring to try Ruiz there and then decide at the very end to make him at least the left-handed part of a platoon at 2B.

I'm not sure Ruiz has the quickness to cover a ton of ground but I guess with the positioning nowadays that's not as important. 

I'm guessing this came together quickly. Like Elias said, the plan to release Sanchez was not something in the works for very long. The Plutko trade sort of threw everything out the window. Then it was probably a combination of Hyde wanting to keep Ruiz on the roster/in the lineup, not having a starting 2B, and a dash of who cares we're not going to be that good anyway. 

Our infield defense is probably going to be pretty bad.  Ruiz at 2nd base is going to wear out quickly, I believe. I think the outfield defense can be pretty great.

Hay should be before Ruiz in the lineup, anyway.  I'd prefer to see a Mullins/Hays 1-2 punch at the top of the order with Mancini 3rd.  

Then again, I believe hand wringing over lineups is overrated.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

I'm guessing this came together quickly. Like Elias said, the plan to release Sanchez was not something in the works for very long. The Plutko trade sort of threw everything out the window. Then it was probably a combination of Hyde wanting to keep Ruiz on the roster/in the lineup, not having a starting 2B, and a dash of who cares we're not going to be that good anyway. 

Trust me, it's not that I think Valaika or Urias is so good they should be the full-time 2B, but the Orioles knew they needed a second baseman all winter and spring. Once Franco was signed, there is no doubt Ruiz should have started to play 2B more often if this was a possibility. 

Ruiz has two innings of major league experience at 2B, never played the position in the minors, and then gets two starts at the end of spring training and now he's the starting 2B? Seems like a poor plan if you ask me. 

This is the first time I have to question the leaderships foresight. This is almost like when Buck put Steve Pearce at 2B out of nowhere. 

Guess that whole defense up the middle thing can be put to bed now. Elias/Hyde just put a guy with almost zero experience at 2B on opening day. If this doesn't tell you that even Elias realizes his team is not going to be very good then I don't know what will tell you. 

It's just very rare to see a major league team do something like this, especially as quickl as this has come together.

It's pretty clear Elias gets an "F" for finding a 2B this offseason since he released Sanchez and has to put a slow third baseman there to start the year.

1 minute ago, now said:

Seems we're seeing in Ruiz a case of one of "Elias's guys" (from Houston). But even so, for Hyde to bat him fifth???

As ever I only hope that Mike Elias' Carlos Correa candle burns just as brightly as his Rio Ruiz one.

And I hope he's coping okay with Lance McCullers accepting the generous overpays Click is doling out to keep a few pieces here and there.   (I imagine Shane Greene a little envious by now of Pedro Baez's 2-year contract).

Positioning-wise 2B and 3B feel like they are losing their individuality about as much as 4th/5th starter and bulk reliever.

Mountcastle DH'ing first game of the year, already. I dont know what to make of it except Hyde must really want Mullins glove in CF. I hope its not because they've given up on Mountcastle already. Ruiz at 2B, I haven't seen any ST or videos to know how that will work. We'll find out shortly.