The defense thread 2021

Frobby

Looked like Mountcastle caught a bad case of Trumbo-itis yesterday.

His mindset was clearly to play it safe and be passive and not attempt any difficult plays.

That mindset led to paralysis as he watched catchable balls drop in.

Someone needs to tell him to be aggressive and let the cards fall where they may, otherwise his days in LF are going to be over.

I think the O's like his bat, and are simply prepared to give him line up space in hopes his bat justifies things.  But If he was the 1B/DH of our future, he'd be there now.  Of course it is possible he hits well enough to become the DH of the future but I just don't believe that is how management sees it.  My opinion...or more accurately my option of the O's opinion.  lol

24 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think the O's like his bat, and are simply prepared to give him line up space in hopes his bat justifies things.  But If he was the 1B/DH of our future, he'd be there now.  Of course it is possible he hits well enough to become the DH of the future but I just don't believe that is how management sees it.  My opinion...or more accurately my option of the O's opinion.  lol

Things have changed this spring.   Before the season started Mullins was thought of as a platoon CF or 4th outfielder.   Right now he looks like a everyday CF.  That pushes Hays to LF with Santander in RF.   Mountcastle  is only is LF when one of them is injured or needs a day off.    Stewart may also  take some OF time away from Mountcastle.  We will have wait and see what O's management does with Mountcastle/Stewart.  

Mountcastle will end up getting his at bats but his time in the field could to cut down quite a bit if Mullins, Hays and Santander are healthy and productive.

MC’s defense has always been bad. He’s a DH and there’s no reason to think otherwise, though he might also be a passable 1B, as Trumbo was.

Im getting extremely weary of hearing people justify unjustifiable moves with “we’re not trying to win.” 
 That is a terrible attitude. I understand we shouldn’t-and won’t- trade away prospects for guys who can help us win an extra five games. But we should be doing our best to win with the players we have, putting those players in their best position. I’ve stated my case for better defense from the catchers, but it’s clear that MC’s best position is DH, and that’s where he should be for the team’s sake and for his own. Unless the things he needs to improve are coachable and improveable, it’s a waste of time to keep him in Left.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

MC’s defense has always been bad. He’s a DH and there’s no reason to think otherwise, though he might also be a passable 1B, as Trumbo was.

Im getting extremely weary of hearing people justify unjustifiable moves with “we’re not trying to win.” 
 That is a terrible attitude. I understand we shouldn’t-and won’t- trade away prospects for guys who can help us win an extra five games. But we should be doing our best to win with the players we have, putting those players in their best position. I’ve stated my case for better defense from the catchers, but it’s clear that MC’s best position is DH, and that’s where he should be for the team’s sake and for his own. Unless the things he needs to improve are coachable and improveable, it’s a waste of time to keep him in Left.

This season is an exercise in putting the players in a position to win games in the future. We know RMC can be the DH, and it’s pretty likely he can be a passable 1B. He will be much more valuable to the team if he can learn to play a passable LF even though 1B will most likely be his more frequent position.

He has played 29 games in left with 38 chances in those games. If we look at his blunders the last few games, I see them all to be coachable and will improve with repetition. Having that internal clock on the ball in the gap, hitting the cutoff man, taking charge on the pop up in the gap and just getting used to reading the ball. 

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

MC’s defense has always been bad. He’s a DH and there’s no reason to think otherwise, though he might also be a passable 1B

The knock on Mountcastle at SS/3B was that his arm wasn’t adequate for those positions.   He’s a decent athlete and it’s just too soon to say he can’t become a decent LF.    His arm still won’t be great out there, but it plays better in LF than on the left side of the infield due to the different arm actions required.   So, I think it would be a mistake to pigeonhole him as solely a 1B/DH at this point.  

As I’ve said, for me the bigger issue is that he’s not the only young player we’re trying to develop as an OF.    When Hays is healthy, he’s a better OF than Mountcastle ever will be.   So are Santander and Mullins, and if Mullins keeps hitting, he’s going to play.   So it’s not that MC is irredeemably bad, it’s that the others are very good.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The knock on Mountcastle at SS/3B was that his arm wasn’t adequate for those positions.   He’s a decent athlete and it’s just too soon to say he can’t become a decent LF.    His arm still won’t be great out there, but it plays better in LF than on the left side of the infield due to the different arm actions required.   So, I think it would be a mistake to pigeonhole him as solely a 1B/DH at this point.  

As I’ve said, for me the bigger issue is that he’s not the only young player we’re trying to develop as an OF.    When Hays is healthy, he’s a better OF than Mountcastle ever will be.   So are Santander and Mullins, and if Mullins keeps hitting, he’s going to play.   So it’s not that MC is irredeemably bad, it’s that the others are very good.   

And how far away is Diaz really?   Maybe a few months?   He also is likely a better corner outfielder than Mountcastle will ever be.   When he arrives that will not leave much outfield time for Mountcastle.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

And how far away is Diaz really?   Maybe a few months?   He also is likely a better corner outfielder than Mountcastle will ever be.   When he arrives that will not leave much outfield time for Mountcastle.

If Mountcastle only plays when one of Stewart, Diaz and Hays is on the IL he'll get in 160 games a year.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Mountcastle only plays when one of Stewart, Diaz and Hays is on the IL he'll get in 160 games a year.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We should start a pool of how many games Stewart and Hays are active before they get hurt again. Not sure about Diaz