Jorge Lopez 2021

Il BuonO

Bump

Didn’t realize this thread hasn’t been updated in a while. 

So, in my OP I said I like his stuff. I do. His horizontal and vertical FB movement show above average for his two seam FB which coincides with what I see.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jorge-lopez-605347?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

However, I question his baseball IQ at this point. He not struggles after a good start to get late into games, but recently has struggled at the start of games. 

His stuff can’t overcome his inability to generate any consistency. 

Bullpen? Maybe, but I’m not sure he’s any better in any role there. Getting close to cutting bait if it’s not already past time for it.

17 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Anything other than a starter would be an improvement. I don’t even like the idea of him as an opener at this point.

Lopez is not a starting pitcher this is his ERA by month:

April/March 7.48

May 3.68

June 7.20

July 7.20

Lopez could be an asset as a bullpen arm, but unless something changes he's not viable as a starting pitcher.  

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Lopez is not a starting pitcher this is his ERA by month:

April/March 7.48

May 3.68

June 7.20

July 7.20

Lopez could be an asset as a bullpen arm, but unless something changes he's not viable as a starting pitcher.  

What I was saying....

I’ve said since the start of the season his stuff plays, but it makes no difference if he can’t execute. 

Even in a game like yesterday he only gave up one run, but he walked FIVE guys in 6 IP. The game before he gave up eight or nine hits. 

He was touching 97 again with good run and sink, but half the time he doesn’t know where it’s going. 

With all the unhappiness stemming from yesterday’s late inning debacle against Tampa, it shouldn’t be forgotten that Jorge Lopez had his second straight start of pitching well through 6 innings.   Nice to see him string together a couple of nice outings back to back.   

• Upvote 2