Hays or Mullins?

Bahama O's Fan

I’m by no means ready to lump Hays in the Reimold/Hammonds category.    Yes he’s had more than his share of injuries to this point, but I haven’t seen anything constituting a chronic pattern or a particular vulnerability.    So, I’ll wait and see about that.  

As to this latest hamstring thing, we don’t even know if it will warrant an IL trip yet.   

As to who will play more games in their career between Hays and Mullins, it’s a good question.   If things broke well for Mullins, I could see him managing to have a Rajai Davis-type career.   Davis had a .690 career OPS and only played 140 games twice, yet still managed to play 1,448 major league games.    Or, the guy could be out of the league in just a few years.    I think Hays has more upside and should play more games if he’s healthy, but I’m not blind to his injury history to this point so we’ll just have to see how that goes.

5 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Between Hays and Mullins, who is considered to be the better overall defender?

Just from watching the games, I get the sense that Mullins covers more ground and Hays has a stronger arm. Mullins playing in CF seems to imply he has the edge, but what do you guys think? 

In CF, having great range is usually more important than having a strong arm.   Therefore, defensively I prefer Mullins in CF to Hays, and when they play together it makes sense to have Mullins in CF and Hays in a corner.    However, that is not to slight Hays, who from what I’ve seen has decent range in center and does have a huge advantage with the arm.    I’m very comfortable with either one defensively in CF.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on the last three games, Mullins! Who knows what will happen as both get full time AB's. Based on resume, Hays is the better player. Hays just seems more complete, with power and a strong arm which Mullins will never have. If both can hit and catch the ball, I still give the edge to Hays.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m by no means ready to lump Hays in the Reimold/Hammonds category.    Yes he’s had more than his share of injuries to this point, but I haven’t seen anything constituting a chronic pattern or a particular vulnerability.    So, I’ll wait and see about that.  

As to this latest hamstring thing, we don’t even know if it will warrant an IL trip yet.   

As to who will play more games in their career between Hays and Mullins, it’s a good question.   If things broke well for Mullins, I could see him managing to have a Rajai Davis-type career.   Davis had a .690 career OPS and only played 140 games twice, yet still managed to play 1,448 major league games.    Or, the guy could be out of the league in just a few years.    I think Hays has more upside and should play more games if he’s healthy, but I’m not blind to his injury history to this point so we’ll just have to see how that goes.

Hammonds stayed healthier more than Reimold was able to.

How many guys would accept a 13 year with 957 games, if they knew that up front? I suspect most of them would.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Between Hays and Mullins, who is considered to be the better overall defender?

Just from watching the games, I get the sense that Mullins covers more ground and Hays has a stronger arm. Mullins playing in CF seems to imply he has the edge, but what do you guys think? 

Mullins had a great year in CF last year at least according to statcast. Its kind of ironic Hyde wants Mullins glove in CF but then is ok with Ruiz at 2B. 

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good points. 

And I'd be pretty excited if Mullins stole 415 bases in his career like Rajai Davis.

19 minutes ago, Natty said:

In 432 PA in the majors, Mullins has 10 SB and 5 CS. He's very fast, but not a great base stealer.

You cant teach speed, but you can sometimes teach base running and stealing.

We need a Brady type that was an excellent base path guy to teach those things to Mullins.

At 26, he should still be young to be still be teachable.

Cost/benefit deters re-builders from trading young hitters. Market demand for position players is tighter because each contender has different needs. If you have a hitter good enough to become universally coveted by contenders. You should probably just keep him and build around him unless he's close to FA. You rarely see teams pay for years of control in a linear fashion. 

2 years of control seems to be the sweet spot to trade for legit players. While, anywhere in pre-arb for types you never expect to amount to a ton long term.

If you don't think Hays or Mullins will amount to much. Sure, trade them while they are cheap and get a lotto with more upside down the road. If you think they will sustain some success. Rather they just keep unless we get a massive over-pay.

Now with pitchers this all different. You can gain profit from flipping good pitchers at any point in their years of control. This what the Rays have been doing for awhile.

Edited by Scalious

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You cant teach speed, but you can sometimes teach base running and stealing.

We need a Brady type that was an excellent base path guy to teach those things to Mullins.

At 26, he should still be young to be still be teachable.

Is Brady involved with the team in any capacity now?

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Then you run the risk of not improving your team and ending up with nothing if Hays can't stay healthy. 

You can't get overly attached to potential.

I'm not saying trade him, but my price would be below amazing.

I'm confused as to what point you're trying to make.  Is it that you hope the O's trade him for a halfway decent price?  

3 hours ago, Natty said:

In 432 PA in the majors, Mullins has 10 SB and 5 CS. He's very fast, but not a great base stealer.

I am here to tell you he’s a very good base stealer when given the green light.   In the minors he stole 110 in 494 games and was caught only 25 times.  I’ve seen him in spring training and he’s a good, instinctive base stealer.    Maybe not Rajai Davis, but very good.