The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

5 minutes ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

I actually liked the move. Seems the young guys have learned a lot this series. Big strides. Kid gloves off. Big boy pants on. A well rested bullpen down the stretch. I'm hyped. All guts so far this weekend.

From a pitch count perspective I didn’t mind but he’d only struck out three batters. That’s not enough, I was worried that they’d start to hit him. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

From a pitch count perspective I didn’t mind but he’d only struck out three batters. That’s not enough, I was worried that they’d start to hit him. 

I also think no Tate and perhaps he didn’t want to use Perez. That had to play a role. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I also think no Tate and perhaps he didn’t want to use Perez. That had to play a role. 

I dunno. That's never stopped him from an early yank before. I think they earned it with low pitch counts and weak contact. He was instilling some confidence in them too. They took it and ran. Kudos to the staff the last two nights. Kremer legit was in Bregman's head. I think like the only (or most) of the curve balls he threw all night were to Bregman, beautiful too, and they crippled him. He was like wtf?? Unexpected each time. It was great.

1 minute ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

I dunno. That's never stopped him from an early yank before. I think they earned it with low pitch counts and weak contact. He was instilling some confidence in them too. They took it and ran. Kudos to the staff the last two nights. Kremer legit was in Bregman's head. I think like the only (or most) of the curve balls he threw all night were to Bregman, beautiful too, and they crippled him. He was like wtf?? Unexpected each time. It was great.

Sure.  He deserved it. I had no issue with it. 

I’m just saying Hyde didn’t have those 2 tonight. 

My only thought today was not going to Perez in the 7th. Tucker was only lefty in lineup and he is a good one and Alvarez was out of the lineup. It was a high leverage spot. Unless he thought Baker was playing possum and would hit Alvarez later. That said I would have went to him right there. He still may have had to use Baker later on but I match up there.  

• Upvote 1

I'm not a fan of playing the infield in. Seems like you have to get really lucky for it to work out. With two innings to go we could have conceded a run and still had two chances to tie. Walking the bases loaded and going for the double play would seem to have a better chance of success.

As I write, the O's are losing 3-1, and if that holds then I put this loss on Hyde for playing Gunnar out of position at 2B instead of 3B.  Urias is a perfectly capable 2B and has a lot of experience there.  Gunnar had little experience at 2B prior to coming to the Orioles.  The only reason I can think of playing Gunnar there is that maybe it's easier in the clubhouse to justify playing Gunnar over Odor at 2B than to justify Urias playing over Odor at 2B.  If so, that's a dumb reason.  

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

As I write, the O's are losing 3-1, and if that holds then I put this loss on Hyde for playing Gunnar out of position at 2B instead of 3B.  Urias is a perfectly capable 2B and has a lot of experience there.  Gunnar had little experience at 2B prior to coming to the Orioles.  The only reason I can think of playing Gunnar there is that maybe it's easier in the clubhouse to justify playing Gunnar over Odor at 2B than to justify Urias playing over Odor at 2B.  If so, that's a dumb reason.  

Has there been a play that Henderson has missed? I'm curious because I'm keeping up on GameDay.

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The fact that Henderson had been playing 2nd base in the minors tells me it wasn’t a Hyde decision.  Gunnar is much quicker then Urias who doesn’t have the best range for second base.  Urias has played mostly 3rd so keeping him there gives you one guy playing out of position.  If you play Gunnar at third and Urias at 2nd two guys are off their main position.