BA's 2008 Draft Report Card : Best Tools

BA has come out with the list of the best tools from the 2008 MLB Draft.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/draft-dish/2008/267079.html

FASTEST RUNNER

1. Xavier Avery, of, Orioles (2)

BEST SECONDARY PITCH

1. Brian Matusz, lhp, Orioles (1)

BEST PRO DEBUT

Junior College Players

5. Ronnie Welty, of, Orioles (20)

BEST ATHLETE

4. Xavier Avery, of, Orioles (2)

MOST INTRIGUING BACKGROUND

Non-Baseball Relative Division

2. Oliver Drake, rhp, Orioles (43)

CLOSEST TO THE MAJORS

College Players

2. Brian Matusz, lhp, Orioles (1)

That's very encourging. I knew Avery was fast and very athletic, but I didn't know he was that fast and athletic. I'm glad to see Matusz listed as 2nd-closest to the majors, even though I'm not sure how that's a "tool."

Maybe best collection of tools? Best tool box? :noidea:

The Os draft report card had some comments of the potential with Corey Thomas - best power hitter in our draft; and Jesse Beal and Ronnie Welty as best late round picks with a Hunter Pence comp for Welty.

Finally, the report card says the Os offer to Kevin Brady at the end of the summer was $450k ... interesting information.

The Os draft report card had some comments of the potential with Corey Thomas - best power hitter in our draft; and Jesse Beal and Ronnie Welty as best late round picks with a Hunter Pence comp for Welty.

Finally, the report card says the Os offer to Kevin Brady at the end of the summer was $450k ... interesting information.

Like Welty a lot. Potential Top 30, for me.

I personally struggle with the 'athlete' concept. This implies that someone has incredible athletic skills (ie: speed, strength, leaping ability) but not necessarily baseball skills.

I like the fact that Avery is mentioned, but a fast bad hitter, is no better than a slow bad hitter, aside from being a qualified MiL pinch runner.

Hopefully, Avery's bat develops.

I personally struggle with the 'athlete' concept. This implies that someone has incredible athletic skills (ie: speed, strength, leaping ability) but not necessarily baseball skills.

I like the fact that Avery is mentioned, but a fast bad hitter, is no better than a slow bad hitter, aside from being a qualified MiL pinch runner.

I pretty much agree. An incredible athlete without baseball skills isn't going to be a very good player.

I pretty much agree. An incredible athlete without baseball skills isn't going to be a very good player.

It depends a little bit on what kind of opportunity he has had to develop baseball skills. If you are 18 years old, and grew up in a family with limited resources in an area where there isn't much top-flight baseball competition around, chances are your baseball skills aren't very well developed. But that doesn't mean you can't learn them when you are being paid to focus on it and getting high level professional instruction.

It depends a little bit on what kind of opportunity he has had to develop baseball skills. If you are 18 years old, and grew up in a family with limited resources in an area where there isn't much top-flight baseball competition around, chances are your baseball skills aren't very well developed. But that doesn't mean you can't learn them when you are being paid to focus on it and getting high level professional instruction.

Absolutely - I think this is where a team's development program and resources come into play.

I don't know what our history is in this area - have we been successful at developing athletes? Do we still have those resources in house to help out an Avery? Not sure - gotta believe that Jordan wouldn't draft athletes if he believed we didn't.

This kind of analysis drives me crazy and is a waste of space, in my opinion. All things being equal, would you rather have someone who is a great "athlete" or is slow? Who would have the bigger upside?

I mean does the term "athlete" imply "project", ie. no baseball skills?

I think not. I'll take speed any day of the week.

This kind of analysis drives me crazy and is a waste of space' date=' in my opinion. All things being equal, would you rather have someone who is a great "athlete" or is slow? Who would have the bigger upside?

I mean does the term "athlete" imply "project", ie. no baseball skills?

I think not. I'll take speed any day of the week.[/quote']

Please allow me to introduce you to Juan Pierre. Good luck.

Please allow me to introduce you to Juan Pierre. Good luck.

Let me introduce you to Ken Griffey Jr...we could go on for awhile Pruke. While being an athlete doesn't guarantee succuss in the sports world....it sure makes it easier to get to a higher level, not to mention getting to a very high level. Avery may never have a cup of coffee at the big league level, but I am encouraged, not bothered, by the fact he is rated such a good athlete.

I just think the "athlete" comment you made fails to further this conversation..nothing personal.

Like Welty a lot. Potential Top 30, for me.

I'll have to disagree with you here, bud. A 20-year old right-handed hitting corner outfielder with a 9-49 BB-K ratio in 226 PA with just three homers in the bandbox Bluefield stadium?

I must've missed something here because the stats certainly don't ooze potential and no one mentioned him while I was talking about sleepers or guys to keep an eye on.

The only thing that was decent was his .314 average, but let's remember, Rene Aqueron hit over .400 one year in the Appy League and he's lucky to still be playing independent ball.

Archived