DJ Stewart brings his "imperfect" game to a team that needs him

wildcard

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I think we need to wait and see on Mullins.  Hard for me to believe everyone will be healthy and performing at the same time anyway...plus, you have Diaz on the horizon.

Agree on health/performance. I just wish all of our position player talent wasn't focused entirely on the outfield.

I dunno about Diaz man. Just seems like he's gonna be another guy who is striking out 2-3 times per night and mixing in enough exciting games to keep stringing you along and tantalizing you. Our lineup is full of guys like that. And that's ok if you can balance that out with some more complete players, but so far no one has really stepped up since Mancini's 2019. Mountcastle and Santander had great, but very short, 2020 seasons so we need to see more. 

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Let's say Stewart really plays well and hits - how do we fit him, Mountcastle, Santander, and Hays into a lineup at the same time? It seems like no matter what you do, one of our best players is on the bench. Which I guess is ok if you're rotating, but... it's not like the team has an abundance of great players so its a shame to have one of them on the bench at any given time. 

But - if I had to choose, I'd opt for Hays seeing more bench time to keep him healthy (again - if Stewart is playing well). Because the left-handed bat is much-needed. At least until Mullins cools off. 

Between Stewart and Hays, I doubt they see 162 games played combined. Both are way too injury prone. It’s not a problem until it becomes one. Also, nothing wrong with shuffling the hot bats into the lineup and giving guys a breather. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I think we need to wait and see on Mullins.  Hard for me to believe everyone will be healthy and performing at the same time anyway...plus, you have Diaz on the horizon.

Well, this is note worthy.  You have progressed to wait and see on Mullins from "Mullins is no good". 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Just being in the field instead of Mountcastle can do wonders for someone’s WAR.

Do you remember if he was still this lean when Spring Training started? Wondering if he lost the weight to help the hamstring injury.

Stewart lost the weight over the winter.  He had lost the weight when he reported to camp.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, this is note worthy.  You have progressed to wait and see on Mullins from "Mullins is no good". 

He is playing well right now.  He has worked hard it seems and seems to be a better player.  Good to see.

He still has a pretty poor track record and that hasn’t gone away.  For now, he should play until he shows he can’t.  

My opinion of him hasn’t really changed other than he should be in the lineup a lot right now.  Don’t really believe in him long term though. (At least as anything more than a 4th/5th OFer/last guy on the bench type thing)

Honestly I feel like we've seen great potential from just about all of our minor league OF players.  We've also seen flaws and stretches of pretty bad play.

The question will be who can progress and become a more consistent player?  I'm a big fan of both Mullins and Stewart, but both need to show consistency that often eludes younger players.  Hays, Santander and Mountcastle as well.  Consistency is the next step.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Between Stewart and Hays, I doubt they see 162 games played combined. Both are way too injury prone. It’s not a problem until it becomes one. Also, nothing wrong with shuffling the hot bats into the lineup and giving guys a breather. 

Stewart has not been all that injury prone.    

2015 - 62 games out of 64

2016 - 121/140

2017 - 126/140

2018: 116/140 plus 17 games in call-up

2019: 116 games between majors and minors

2020: 31 games out of 60

I mean, that’s not Cal Ripken but it’s not like he’s been injured most of the time.   Some of the games missed weren’t necessarily injuries, either.

Hays has missed more time, but even so, I think it’s a mistake to assume a guy is more prone to injuries than someone else just because he’s had an assortment of injuries over a few years.    I remember people trying to pin that label on Adam Jones early in his career.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

I disagree.  I think we see a .750-.800 OPS from him this season with a full slew of at bats.  I'm excited to see more of him.

Well, we certainly got him now, so we shall see. I hope he continues what he did yesterday. I’m happy with anything that keeps MC out of the field.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, now said:

My poster boys for injury-prone would be a) Jeffrey Hammonds and b) Nolan Reimold. Fingers crossed that Stewart, Hays, et al. avoid their trajectory.

Hunter Harvey says, "Do you even injured list bro?"