Grayson Rodriguez 2021

LTO's

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

So with the 30 inning rule, if a guy has Tommy John surgery, it should take him 5 or 6 years to get back to full starter load.

It's supposed to build off of whatever their previous high was after they are fully recovered.  It also only applies to players under 25.

At least the original theory set forth by Verducci and Peterson.

I have no idea if that is the guideline Elias is going to go by.  It just seems to me like a good estimate considering how he's going about things so far.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Grayson starts today in Reading, weather permitting.   My gut feeling is this could be his last start there.   That would leave time for 6-7 starts in Norfolk.   

Credit John Sheperd for making me think about it, but given Bowie is in the playoff hunt, I wonder if there is some value in Rodriguez staying down, and pitching in situations with more on the line, and as part of a winning team. 

15 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Credit John Sheperd for making me think about it, but given Bowie is in the playoff hunt, I wonder if there is some value in Rodriguez staying down, and pitching in situations with more on the line, and as part of a winning team. 

My goal is to have Rodriguez ready for the majors as early next year as possible.   I much prefer to have him getting some AAA experience than AA pennant race experience.   BTW, there are no AA playoffs this year, so far as I know.  

He didn't have  good fastball today (toppped out at 96 from what I heard) but was missing a lot on the middle of the late with the fastball. First time I've seen players get really good swings against him on the fastball. 

Probably just an offday or possibly going through a little bit of a late summer tired arm.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He didn't have  good fastball today (toppped out at 96 from what I heard) but was missing a lot on the middle of the late with the fastball. First time I've seen players get really good swings against him on the fastball. 

Probably just an offday or possibly going through a little bit of a late summer tired arm.

It’s also one of the rare times he’s pitched on four days’ rest.   He’s usually had five days due to pitching in a five man rotation with every Monday being an off day.   But when your start falls on a Tuesday your next turn falls on Sunday.    It’s only the third time he’s pitched on four days’ rest.   Of course, he’s going to have to do that plenty in the majors, so he’d better get used to it.

• Upvote 1

This past week BP ran Part 1 of a piece about Starting Pitchers in general.   The author gave this tidbit on their inspiration:

I got the idea for this series when (I think) I heard Boog Sciambi say on a Cubs broadcast that so far this season, there have been more games started on five or more days of rest than four or fewer for the first time ever. 

I remember Earl liking 4-man rotations because it was too hard to find a 5th starter who was any good, but I think the Rays and Brewers are more or less proving that except for your Glasnow/Woodruff type guy, just mixing them up and keeping them fresh creates results.

Until competitive circumstances warrant, I'm not sure we'll see Rodriguez grow to 30 starts even in a healthy season.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:16 PM, Gofannon said:

I actually agree with everyone and guess I did a poor job of being sarcastic.  Grayson is probably throwing fewer pitches in a game now than he did in 7th grade.  One more inning would've been good to see.

I saw this factoid and thought of this post in this thread.

526 pitches in seven starts is 75 pitches a start.

He's averaging over 5 innings a start.

mwjmtlsv61j71.jpg