Tate to IL, McKenna back up; More moves coming

Legend_Of_Joey

Tate has been pretty solid for us this year and even back to last year. Not a lot of Ks but a career GB rate of 55.7%. In his 50.2 IP he’s only given up 6 HR, 3 of those game in his first two MLB appearances. 

The returns from our firesale don’t look great, but Tate is looking good. Tate looks like a nugget that will be a solid middle reliever for us for the next 5 years. 

McKenna chance has arrived.   

With Stewart's hamstring sore,  Santander out for probably another 10 days  and Diaz going down, the chance for McKenna to get regular playing time in the outfield appears likely.  3 centerfield fielders in the same outfield.    I don't remember the O's have this much outfield range since  Brady,  Finley and Devo.  

The chance come a little early in his career.   He hasn't hit well at AA, only has 5 at bats at AAA and 16 at bats in the majors but opportunity is knocking and we will see if he can meet the challenge.

What chance? The guy is a 4th outfielder and that's what he is. He hasn't ever really hit much in the minors save for like one good AA season. I'm not saying he's not valuable, but I think it's obvious he's not a starting-caliber outfielder bat-wise. Of course, NO ONE is hitting except Mullins so maybe that doesn't matter too much. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

What chance? The guy is a 4th outfielder and that's what he is. He hasn't ever really hit much in the minors save for like one good AA season. I'm not saying he's not valuable, but I think it's obvious he's not a starting-caliber outfielder bat-wise. Of course, NO ONE is hitting except Mullins so maybe that doesn't matter too much. 

I think he is likely destined to be a fourth outfielder too, but he is only 24 and growing up in the northeast, he didn't have the year-round reps that players in warmer climates had.

It isn't impossible that the bat improves, he has a good eye and walks a fair amount, so he isn't a total loss at the plate.

Hopefully last year wasn't a total loss for him, tough to lose a year of development and he probably could have used the 500+ plate appearances more than most O's minor leaguers.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think he is likely destined to be a fourth outfielder too, but he is only 24 and growing up in the northeast, he didn't have the year-round reps that players in warmer climates had.

It isn't impossible that the bat improves, he has a good eye and walks a fair amount, so he isn't a total loss at the plate.

Hopefully last year wasn't a total loss for him, tough to lose a year of development and he probably could have used the 500+ plate appearances more than most O's minor leaguers.

My hopes for McKenna are basically the same as my hopes for Mullins were coming into the season: be a solid contributor as a part-time outfielder, use your speed, play good defense, try to get on base. Mullins obviously went bananas, and that would be great if McKenna did that as well. But I think he can be a good piece as a part-time guy. And that's fine!  I certainly would rather watch his ABs right now than Urias or Ruiz or Sisco. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

My hopes for McKenna are basically the same as my hopes for Mullins were coming into the season: be a solid contributor as a part-time outfielder, use your speed, play good defense, try to get on base.

Yep, although McKenna is 2.5 years younger than Mullins, which is why I want him to just get reps. Whether it is in Baltimore or in AAA.

Now that the AAA season has started, I don't particularly want McKenna up here if he isn't going to play 4-5 games a week. Would rather he get consistent reps at AAA than appear mainly as a defensive replacement / pinch runner and make 30 starts over the rest of the MLB season. I think it is likely that will be his long term role, but I don't think he needs to be pigeon-holed into it now, even if it costs the MLB team a win or so on the margins this year.

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

McKenna in the lineup tonight, although Stewart could be back soon.

vs a lefty, Stewart might not have played anyway.   We have 8 RH bats in the lineup tonight, and I believe we did that the last time we faced a lefty too.

We probably won't see another lefty until at least Sunday, after tonight.

• Upvote 1

Is McKenna likely going to have a Mullins-like development?  No.  But I'd rather give him an extended look than Stewart, because Stewart is a DH playing RF and consistently inconsistent at the plate.  And we know McKenna is a good defensive OFer with some chance to develop into a good 4th OFer.