Davis has hip surgery, out for season

eddie83

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm an insurance company that has to pay off on this policy I'm looking at all this extremely closely. 

Meh... This is literally what all insurance companies do when a claim is filed 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

How do ya'll think this affects our playoff chances?  

I feel like this improves them.  Also, it just improves my outlook on life.

After this news settled in for me this afternoon, I got the feeling that we haven't seen the last of him yet.  I can easily see a Baltimore Sun fluff piece being written in ST 2022 about his long road back and how he's rebuilt his swing and determined to go out on his terms.

Look, if the Dodgers can go out and sign Pujols, I'm not taking anything off the table.  Granted, the chances of him coming back and playing are slim but the possibility exists.  I'm not taking anything for granted.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel like this improves them.  Also, it just improves my outlook on life.

After this news settled in for me this afternoon, I got the feeling that we haven't seen the last of him yet.  I can easily see a Baltimore Sun fluff piece being written in ST 2022 about his long road back and how he's rebuilt his swing and determined to go out on his terms.

Look, if the Dodgers can go out and sign Pujols, I'm not taking anything off the table.  Granted, the chances of him coming back and playing are slim but the possibility exists.  I'm not taking anything for granted.

You put way too much thought into that.  LOL

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You put way too much thought into that.  LOL

Nah, last year I just resigned myself to the idea that he's going to play out this contract.  

But seriously, the Dodgers...the World Champion Dodgers...signed Pujols, arguably one of the two other players (Cabrera) that could give Davis a run for his money as the worst contract in baseball.  

If that can happen, Davis can play next year.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nah, last year I just resigned myself to the idea that he's going to play out this contract.  

But seriously, the Dodgers...the World Champion Dodgers...signed Pujols, arguably one of the two other players (Cabrera) that could give Davis a run for his money as the worst contract in baseball.  

I was just being facetious. We don't have playoff chances, and obviously nothing fulfills the adage of "addition by subtraction" like "losing" Chris Davis at this point.

I agree with the idea that he'll be back out there next Spring.  Whether they'll be willing to cut him or not, I'm not sure, but at that point, I don't see why they wouldn't.  In the fullness of time.....

The Pujols signing puzzles me.  I think there are considerations which extend beyond baseball in that case.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I was just being facetious. We don't have playoff chances, and obviously nothing fulfills the adage of "addition by subtraction" like "losing" Chris Davis at this point.

I agree with the idea that he'll be back out there next Spring.  Whether they'll be willing to cut him or not, I'm not sure, but at that point, I don't see why they wouldn't.  In the fullness of time.....

The Pujols signing puzzles me.  I think there are considerations which extend beyond baseball in that case.

I know you were being facetious in regards to playoff chances.  But as you said, addition by subtraction.  This team sucks but I've enjoyed watching more this year so far knowing that Davis isn't batting .125 or whatever and still getting at bats.  Mancini/Mountcastle need to be the rotation at 1B/DH.

The Pujols signing is a head scratcher, but I read an article that highlighted that he can still hit lefties at a decent clip and there are some advanced stats that show he was getting a bit unlucky so far this year.  I'd go with Pujols > Cabrera >>>> Davis if I had to pick my poison between the three of them.  

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Meh... This is literally what all insurance companies do when a claim is filed 

My father had to get his roof and siding replaced from a freak hail storm. The insurance company was holding off payment of the claim saying it was fraud.

Every house around him was having it’s roof replaced and the insurance company was still playing hardball. They caved after the roofer talked to his insurance agent. 

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know you were being facetious in regards to playoff chances.  But as you said, addition by subtraction.  This team sucks but I've enjoyed watching more this year so far knowing that Davis isn't batting .125 or whatever and still getting at bats.  Mancini/Mountcastle need to be the rotation at 1B/DH.

The Pujols signing is a head scratcher, but I read an article that highlighted that he can still hit lefties at a decent clip and there are some advanced stats that show he was getting a bit unlucky so far this year.  I'd go with Pujols > Cabrera >>>> Davis if I had to pick my poison between the three of them.  

I don't want to see CD ever again.  I'd literally rather give Ryan Ripken 200 abs than give CD 2.

As far as Pujols and Cabrera, before this year they had faded remarkably similarly.  Pujols keeping more power; Cabrera keeping more hit tool.  Both of them were averagish hitters, and, as you might expect, poor runners and defenders.  They were only disasters in context of their contracts.  Davis was just a disaster.

If I was looking for a guy to give me 50 abs as a pinch hitter vs lhp, I could do worse than Pujols.  My reluctance in signing him would simply be it won't be easy to cut him.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Isn’t Pujols easy? I would believe the Angels are forced to pay his (ridiculous) guaranteed salary, and so the Dodgers get him for next to nothing, hoping he still has something to prove. Or do I have that wrong? 

He could be an okay acquisition if you want to sell tickets to a guaranteed HOFer in his final year or so. But that’s about it. He already has a World Series ring, and he was an incredible player in his prime, but I don’t know what more he has to prove unless someone plays against the Angels in the postseason. 

8 hours ago, murph said:

I will admit the thought briefly crossed my mind, but no way they put someone under the knife unnecessarily (not saying that is what you are saying). 

I am glad to hear we won't have to worry about having Davis ride along for any portion of this year.

You are joking, right? My buddy is a shoulder surgeon and he sees people all of the time that want a second opinion and his is not to go through the surgery the other surgeon wanted them to do and do rehab. Surgeons get paid for surgery, not rehab. Then again the average person is too lazy and just wants a quick fix. 
my first thought with this surgery is that he is getting some stuff cleaned up in there for future quality of life and if he was actually a productive player any more and not just collecting a pay check, he would be on the field an take care of the clean up stuff in the off season or when he retires. Don’t get me wrong, I think he is a good guy and deserves every penny of the contract because it isn’t his fault baseball has guaranteed contracts or the Os made a bad decision. Nothing is more infuriating to me than football players who hold out for a new contract or nfl teams can just cut someone. A contract should be a contract for better or worse.