Davis has hip surgery, out for season

eddie83

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, the people who intimated that Davis or the Orioles were inventing an injury to give them an excuse to keep him off the roster should apologize.   I hope they do cut him next year, but there was a legitimate medical reason he wasn’t playing.   I hope his surgery allows him to lead a pain-free life.  

If I'm an insurance company that has to pay off on this policy I'm looking at all this extremely closely. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm an insurance company that has to pay off on this policy I'm looking at all this extremely closely. 

I will admit the thought briefly crossed my mind, but no way they put someone under the knife unnecessarily (not saying that is what you are saying). 

I am glad to hear we won't have to worry about having Davis ride along for any portion of this year.

And IF insurance is picking up a large part of the tab,  this is another reason you don't cut him.   The team may be saving 10s of millions of dollars by this happening.  As a fan I wanted him cut a couple years ago,  but it just made poor financial sense unfortunately.  Now between Covid last year,  injury this year and possibly work stoppage issues next year,  a significant chunk may have been saved/recouped.  Sucks,  but true.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, because people go under the knife all the time to commit insurance fraud when the person getting surgery gets paid either way. 

I'll assume this is one of your classic bits. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right, because people go under the knife all the time to commit insurance fraud when the person getting surgery gets paid either way. 

I'll assume this is one of your classic bits. 

If you had to pay off this to the tune of say 10M you would just sign the check?

You wouldn't take a deep look?

All I'm saying is that I would do my due diligence. 

I'd want to know everything about how and when he was hurt. 

The way these things work is if the player plays a single game in the season the insurance doesn't pay out.  I'd make sure he was absolutely physically unable to play at any point this season.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

And folks really thought he had a fake injury. 

See you next ST Chris. We WILL see him next ST, guaranteed right here and now. Whether or not he makes it past a couple ABs again... who knows.

You can't even guarantee there will even be a spring training in 2022.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you had to pay off this to the tune of say 10M you would just sign the check?

You wouldn't take a deep look?

All I'm saying is that I would do my due diligence. 

I'd want to know everything about how and when he was hurt. 

The way these things work is if the player plays a single game in the season the insurance doesn't pay out.  I'd make sure he was absolutely physically unable to play at any point this season.

I don’t think this is necessarily the case, from what I’ve read.  I believe the policies usually have a 60-90 day deductible period, then they start paying.   Even once payments commence they usually cover usually only a portion of the salary earned during that time.   

I certainly do agree that with the amount of money at stake, the insurers will take a close look.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think this is necessarily the case, from what I’ve read.  I believe the policies usually have a 60-90 day deductible period, then they start paying.   Even once payments commence they usually cover usually only a portion of the salary earned during that time.   

I certainly do agree that with the amount of money at stake, the insurers will take a close look.   

Their lawyers vs. ours. My $$$ is on ours!

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'll just say, I hope this fixes whatever was wrong. And he can get back to at least what he was original ST 2020. Before the quarantine. Cuz that was at least promising.

Hope he gets back to Crush territory...

• Upvote 1