The Downward Spiral

rudyrooster

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You want to tank for two more seasons after this one?

We need to draft pitching. So far, I haven't seen that. Tank for 2-5 more years, drafting all pitchers. Grow the arms, buy the bats. 

Edited by fansince1988
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

We need to draft pitching. So far, I haven't seen that. Tank for 2-5 more years, drafting all pitchers. Grow the arms, buy the bats. 

By this logic we should trade any prospect over 21 for 18 year olds. Elias should be fired if we are still tanking and trying to lose next year let alone for 2-5 more years

36 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

That’s not the model that Elias is following. Think Cubs, Astros and Padres. Lots of young position prospects. Lots of international minor leaguers. Trades made for pitching, and free agents signed to contracts. We saw with Arriets, Gausman, Bundy and ERod how that strategy worked out. 

Realistically, there’s only a few decent pieces on our major league team.   I’d add Hays to the guys Tony listed who are doing OK, though Hays has not been quite as good as I’d hoped to this point.   

I still think we need to keep giving guys opportunities and let them learn from their mistakes.   Mountcastle being a good example of that.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Realistically, there’s only a few decent pieces on our major league team.   I’d add Hays to the guys Tony listed who are doing OK, though Hays has not been quite as good as I’d hoped to this point.   

I still think we need to keep giving guys opportunities and let them learn from their mistakes.   Mountcastle being a good example of that.   

Agree with this.

I recall the 2011 how during the summer the awful pitching ruined any chance of being competitive. This team does not have the position player talent that team does but the pitching many nights is very poor. 

45 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

That’s not the model that Elias is following. Think Cubs, Astros and Padres. Lots of young position prospects. Lots of international minor leaguers. Trades made for pitching, and free agents signed to contracts. We saw with Arriets, Gausman, Bundy and ERod how that strategy worked out. 

Yep. I also think we have a lot of interesting arms in the minors. Obviously most won’t pan out. 

14 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When in doubt, it's always the talent.  Remember, Ned Yost won a World Series.

Absolutely. The Royals fans hated him and called any stupid decision “Yosting” as in “we got Yosted today”

But they sure cleaned up in 14-15. Amazing what an all-star team can accomplish

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I guess the hope is that between the draft and yet another trade deadline dumpster sale, that we can add 10+ organizational top 30 players. 

At some point we need a big group of high end talent to hit here all at once. 2024???

I don't think there is much to sell at the deadline.   I don't know that any team is going to want Matt Harvey, Galvis, Severino, Franco, Valaika or Armstrong.  And I don't see the O's trading Mancini or Santander.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think there is much to sell at the deadline.   I don't know that any team is going to want Matt Harvey, Galvis, Severino, Franco, Valaika or Armstrong.  And I don't see the O's trading Mancini or Santander.

Any reason you neglected to mention Means?

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Galvis looks like the pick of the litter among the first group.   We may find a home for him.   I definitely think we need to shop the other two.