The Downward Spiral

rudyrooster

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Santander back today, gives us a little better chance at wins

Can he pitch?

Seriously, I hope he looks more like the 2019-20 version than the early 2021 version.   But he will help us, for sure.   

I think the downward spiral will take a break for awhile once we start playing teams out of the division.  The AL East is just loaded this year with team way better then us.  I believe that the east has 4 of the best 6 teams in the league.  The other two being the Whit Sox and the Astros.  We wouldn’t look as bad playing all our games with Tigers, Twins, and Royals or Rangers, Angels, Mariners.  

8 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I think the downward spiral will take a break for awhile once we start playing teams out of the division.  The AL East is just loaded this year with team way better then us.  I believe that the east has 4 of the best 6 teams in the league.  The other two being the Whit Sox and the Astros.  We wouldn’t look as bad playing all our games with Tigers, Twins, and Royals or Rangers, Angels, Mariners.  

Exactly.   I like how people see where we are as some kind of proof that we are a 100 loss team.   Even though we are actually on a pace to lose slightly less than 100 games, and we have played what is demonstrably the toughest stretch of schedule we have in the season.

You are never as bad as you look when you are on a losing streak, nor are you as good as you look when you are winning.   We are in a period of poor play right now.

8 hours ago, Beysbol said:

I'm still sticking with 99 losses and I'm not a fan of Brandon Hyde as the manager for this team moving forward, in my opinion. 

102 losses and I dont think this team will be competitive under current management.  I think we are in for years of heartbreak lost years for the top prospects.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the detailed write-up Tony.  I feel pretty frustrated as well, especially after the last two weeks or so.    I agree with maybe 80% of what you said above.

Can we send Mountcastle back down at this point?  Curious if he has any options left.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I'm sick and damn tired of losing. I'm sick and damn tired of not even being competitive. I'm sick and damn tired of this franchise always being an afterthought and joke to the rest of MLB.

I'm frustrated that Mountcastle is going through a sophomore slump. I'm frustrated that the first wave of arms have not been able to get it done at the major league level. I'm frustrated that the guys we would hope to start turning things around have floundered this year. 

Mountcastle: .564 OPS and 6 to to BB to K ratio in  163 PAs is not a slow start, it's at the embarrassment stage
Kremer: 6.35 ERA and 1.59 WHIP in 8 starts over just 34 IP
Santander: .551 OPS before his annual injury
Stewart: .654 OPS and has already had his annual injury
Harvey: out all year, not even rehabbing with his annual injury
Akin: Couldn't even make the team out of spring training due to his implosion, 6.14 ERA in 7.1 IP
Zimmermann: 4.79 ERA 1,46 WHIP in 35.2 IP
Hays: .780 OPS is respectable but has already missed time with his annual injury

Realistically, this year has been a worse case scenario outside of Means, Mancini, Mullins and maybe Valdez. 

I don't see this organization even being a decent for another two more years, and that's only if Baumann, Bradish, Hall and Rodriguez come through and stay healthy, Rutschman can fulfill his promise, and Westburg and Henderson are able to move quickly. 

i do think it's heading in the right direction when you look at the farm, but the first wave of guys have really set this organization back a few years unless they can find a way to improve. 

Honestly, I don't see how Elias keeps the coaching staff after this year. No one has really improved, the bullpen has no roles, the young hitters have all regressed besides Mancini (not really young) and Mullins and maybe Hays has stayed the same. 

The team is going out there and doesn't even look like it should be in the same field as the teams in the Division. 

I'm just tired of having to look to the future to get my baseball fix. 

Elias needs to be aggressive in promoting his prospects and needs new blood in the coaching staff because I see very little improvement from the young players.

Sorry if you don't agree, but I'm just being honest in how I feel right now.

I agree with much of this, in particular believe that Hyde and staff need to go.  Bring back Buck lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I'm sick and damn tired of losing. I'm sick and damn tired of not even being competitive. I'm sick and damn tired of this franchise always being an afterthought and joke to the rest of MLB.

I'm frustrated that Mountcastle is going through a sophomore slump. I'm frustrated that the first wave of arms have not been able to get it done at the major league level. I'm frustrated that the guys we would hope to start turning things around have floundered this year. 

Mountcastle: .564 OPS and 6 to to BB to K ratio in  163 PAs is not a slow start, it's at the embarrassment stage
Kremer: 6.35 ERA and 1.59 WHIP in 8 starts over just 34 IP
Santander: .551 OPS before his annual injury
Stewart: .654 OPS and has already had his annual injury
Harvey: out all year, not even rehabbing with his annual injury
Akin: Couldn't even make the team out of spring training due to his implosion, 6.14 ERA in 7.1 IP
Zimmermann: 4.79 ERA 1,46 WHIP in 35.2 IP
Hays: .780 OPS is respectable but has already missed time with his annual injury

Realistically, this year has been a worse case scenario outside of Means, Mancini, Mullins and maybe Valdez. 

I don't see this organization even being a decent for another two more years, and that's only if Baumann, Bradish, Hall and Rodriguez come through and stay healthy, Rutschman can fulfill his promise, and Westburg and Henderson are able to move quickly. 

i do think it's heading in the right direction when you look at the farm, but the first wave of guys have really set this organization back a few years unless they can find a way to improve. 

Honestly, I don't see how Elias keeps the coaching staff after this year. No one has really improved, the bullpen has no roles, the young hitters have all regressed besides Mancini (not really young) and Mullins and maybe Hays has stayed the same. 

The team is going out there and doesn't even look like it should be in the same field as the teams in the Division. 

I'm just tired of having to look to the future to get my baseball fix. 

Elias needs to be aggressive in promoting his prospects and needs new blood in the coaching staff because I see very little improvement from the young players.

Sorry if you don't agree, but I'm just being honest in how I feel right now.

One thing they need to stop doing is jerking these guys around.  Bring them up and keep them up. 

I am so tired of this organization yo-yo’ing young arms.  We have nothing here that should keep them down in the minors.  They have openly talked about not caring about winning.  So, let the kids play.

I can deal with the losing...I can’t deal with the losing when it’s happening with a bunch of players that have no chance of being here long term.  Get rid of these guys and bring the kids up.  Let them learn up here.  

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Thanks for the detailed write-up Tony.  I feel pretty frustrated as well, especially after the last two weeks or so.    I agree with maybe 80% of what you said above.

Can we send Mountcastle back down at this point?  Curious if he has any options left.

Mountcastle has two options left.

4 hours ago, Beysbol said:

Yeah, hopefully they can beat the worst team in the league (Minnesota). 

The Twins are under-performing so far. Wouldn't surprise me if they get hot starting with their first game against the O's.

• Upvote 1

People finally understanding.  2.5 years in and Elias has failed to prepare prospects. Failed to add meaningful talent to the team. Failed to build depth in the organization.

He develops prospects.  Thats what he did with the Astros.  Thats what you hire a player development head for.  He doesn't do anything else well (that we have seen) that a general manager has to do to build a competitive team.