OBP machines

Sports Guy

That’s pretty crazy, especially the walk rates of Servideo and Harris.   Even Barry Bonds only exceeded 30% twice.   Ted Williams and Babe Ruth never did.   And I’m sure nobody’s pitching around Servideo or Harris.  

37 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Servideo is batting .239 with a .507(!) OBP.

He had a .294/.440/.427 line at Ole Miss, his eye for the strike zone seems to be his best tool.

When he was drafted, it sounded like there was no doubt he would stay at SS.

The question is, can he hit for enough power and average that he continues to get a lot of walks?

If he can be a 400+ slugging guy and hit 260 at the major league level, he will be a very valuable player.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s pretty crazy, especially the walk rates of Servideo and Harris.   Even Barry Bonds only exceeded 30% twice.   Ted Williams and Babe Ruth never did.   And I’m sure nobody’s pitching around Servideo or Harris.  

I recall the early days of Baseball Prospectus they would get infatuated with walk-driven OBPs from light hitting guys in the low minors.    I'm glad they are performing well (the opposite would be trouble), but I don't feel 2020 SEC guys handling 2021 Low-A is more than par.    I think its a known known in that league the pitchers aren't really good enough generally that if you want the walk you can get it often.   

Its nice to have some infield depth, and I get caution after the long layoff, but all four of Haskin, Servideo, Westburg and Henderson look close to next level ready.    Would love to see Mayo and Kjerstad there to backfill in a month.

So on the one hand, we have this new GM Mike Elias.  He CLAIMED he wanted to come in, and set up this fancy schmancy "talent pipeline" that flowed from the lowest levels of the organization to the top with good players.   And we have evidence that this pipeline is now approaching the AA level.  We have a top 10 farm system in MLB at least....if not top 5 (Headlined by Adley Rutschman, Orioles farm system ranked fifth best in MLB | RSN (nbcsports.com)).

On the other hand, man he really screwed up that Zach Pop thing.  ?

What do you guys think, maybe we give him one more shot before we see if Pat Gillick is still available?   ?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I recall the early days of Baseball Prospectus they would get infatuated with walk-driven OBPs from light hitting guys in the low minors.    I'm glad they are performing well (the opposite would be trouble), but I don't feel 2020 SEC guys handling 2021 Low-A is more than par.    I think its a known known in that league the pitchers aren't really good enough generally that if you want the walk you can get it often.   

Its nice to have some infield depth, and I get caution after the long layoff, but all four of Haskin, Servideo, Westburg and Henderson look close to next level ready.    Would love to see Mayo and Kjerstad there to backfill in a month.

Are you happy that we rank so highly at Hi-A and AA as well?

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

When he was drafted, it sounded like there was no doubt he would stay at SS.

The question is, can he hit for enough power and average that he continues to get a lot of walks?

If he can be a 400+ slugging guy and hit 260 at the major league level, he will be a very valuable player.

He's hard to explain.  He was absolutely crushing the ball when the college season was ended abruptly, but he was never known for his bat before then.  So was that just a flukish hot streak?  Probably so, but if it wasn't... wow.  

13 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Are you happy that we rank so highly at Hi-A and AA as well?

Yes.   The game is the strike zone, and looking forward to the May monthly swing decisions outcomes hopefully showing Hays a second Oriole joining Mullins as someone opposing pitchers don't giggle about in their meetings.   The Westburg quote about outside sliders is encouraging.   It seems generally the data driven process of putting elderly Markakis brain into every 19-22 year old with batting talent making some headway, and I think Sig would categorize that as "table stakes".   Low-A seems too easy for Servideo, though the 2019 Rockies kept Vavra there all year for an MVP.

Broadly, May has been pretty good for the 20 best Orioles so far!     Harvey, Zimmermann and Third Time Through the Order Jorge Lopez batting practice mode for opposing lineups might conclude by 4th of July if we don't dilly dally.    I accept/expect MLB hitters are putting high ERA's on even Hall, Bradish, Baumann if they hold together this summer, and hope a down payment on those instances can get managed to August/September 2021.   (Don't worry Mike - none of them need to pitch more than 50 MLB innings for this).

I think we've already seen Means, Kremer, Akin stop/start enough they'll make it to September, and trust even with scuffles Kremer/Akin stay in the Top 8-9 SP candidates to look at this summer.   A September of 10-15 innings/each for our 10 best pitchers would be fun.

50 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Also worth mentioning Terrin Vavra and his .463 OBP.  It’s only a matter of time before he’s starting at 2B in Baltimore. 

I really like Vavra. Only asterisk with him is a high strikeout rate in a very small sample size this season. I have a semi- distrust for Bowie offensive stats that dates back to Lou Montantez. It’s a “fool me twice shame on me” kinda thing. Not affecting my view of Vavra much, but Dorrian...... 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm sorry, but if I was playing baseball trivial pursuit and any form of this question was asked to me...... there would be failure. So much failure. Never would have guessed.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Servideo's not even playing SS at Delmarva, its mainly been Henderson or Westburg, who should both soon get a promotion. That is a serious backlog of talent all at the same level. 

No to mention Darell Hernaiz, who is holding his own as a 19-year old at Delmarva.