I realize we have no one else to start, but...

DocJJ

I really can't stand the "move him to the bullpen" idea that comes when a guy isn't doing well as a starter.  It works sometimes, it's worth exploring but it doesn't necessarily fix what's wrong.  It doesn't all of a sudden give a pitcher a better fastball, better secondary offerings or better command.  What it does is limits the amount of times a lineup can see a guy, but if the stuff is already underwhelming, IMO you're delaying the inevitable.  

Harvey is at the end of his rope when it comes to pitching.  I think we should try him out of the pen because...well, it can't make things worse.  But I'm under no illusion that coming out of the Orioles pen will be the thing that gets him back to being a productive pitcher.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really can't stand the "move him to the bullpen" idea that comes when a guy isn't doing well as a starter.  It works sometimes, it's worth exploring but it doesn't necessarily fix what's wrong.  It doesn't all of a sudden give a pitcher a better fastball, better secondary offerings or better command.  What it does is limits the amount of times a lineup can see a guy, but if the stuff is already underwhelming, IMO you're delaying the inevitable.  

Harvey is at the end of his rope when it comes to pitching.  I think we should try him out of the pen because...well, it can't make things worse.  But I'm under no illusion that coming out of the Orioles pen will be the thing that gets him back to being a productive pitcher.  

I love it because I want the O's to go with a pitching staff consisting of Means and guys in the Bullpen.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is true but with Harvey we are still seeing the strikeouts and stuff. 

Harvey is more command issues not stuff. Not saying his stuff is like the old days, it’s not. 

On this team the options are worse and worser.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

This is true but with Harvey we are still seeing the strikeouts and stuff. 

Harvey is more command issues not stuff. Not saying his stuff is like the old days, it’s not. 

On this team the options are worse and worser.  

If you are getting three innings every five days out of him it doesn't make much difference if he starts or relieves.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think it would work for Lopez. Not Harvey. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love it because I want the O's to go with a pitching staff consisting of Means and guys in the Bullpen.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are getting three innings every five days out of him it doesn't make much difference if he starts or relieves.

Issue is having enough arms to pull this off. 

As far as Harvey goes pitch him for an inning at a time and go from there. Actually see if the short outings work. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Issue is having enough arms to pull this off. 

As far as Harvey goes pitch him for an inning at a time and go from there. Actually see if the short outings work. 

Sure.

But jeez I want them to try something interesting.

If the O's don't bring something new to the party this isn't going to work.

Messing with the pitching is my second choice.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.

But jeez I want them to try something interesting.

If the O's don't bring something new to the party this isn't going to work.

Messing with the pitching is my second choice.

They do need to try something. Surprised they haven’t. 

I too have had enough of Matt Harvey as a starter, but what I don't understand is demoting Kremer and leaving Lowther in Norfolk. Yes, I know the argument is that they need to log innings. As my grandmother used to say: "Innings is innings." Okay, she didn't actually say that. They're both 25; if not now, when? If their fragile egos can't survive a bit of a struggle in the low pressure situation that is the Orioles' season, then maybe they'll never be ready to pitch in the majors. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was expecting innovation not trying to copy the Astros.

They rolled the dice that the pitching wouldn’t be this bad. Not that I thought it would be good but this is close to a worse case scenario. 

They needed a couple of arms to pull a 2007 Steve Trachsel type of a season. They are in scramble mode. 

3 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

I too have had enough of Matt Harvey as a starter, but what I don't understand is demoting Kremer and leaving Lowther in Norfolk. Yes, I know the argument is that they need to log innings. As my grandmother used to say: "Innings is innings." Okay, she didn't actually say that. They're both 25; if not now, when? If their fragile egos can't survive a bit of a struggle in the low pressure situation that is the Orioles' season, then maybe they'll never be ready to pitch in the majors. 

I think we will see a yo-yo all year.  

I would not read too much into anything. They are in survival mode. We will see all of these guys. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They rolled the dice that the pitching wouldn’t be this bad. Not that I thought it would be good but this is close to a worse case scenario. 

They needed a couple of arms to pull a 2007 Steve Trachsel type of a season. They are in scramble mode. 

So they weren't prepared?