Sunday May 29: Orioles attempt to avoid a 4 game sweep in Chicago

SteveA

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

I just disagree with that. If you're facing a real good pitcher who's missed the plate a few times, the batter is a marginal, AAAA-type  hitter, and you're down by two in the last inning, I think you have to take on 3-1, and maybe even 3-2. I see no advantage in having him swing at a cookie -- which he didn't get anyway -- for the slight chance he'll get a hit.  

I agree that I wouldn't tell a skilled "major league hitter" what to do. But this is a guy with 440 or so PAs in the majors, 30 percent of them strikeouts. He has to take a pitch and try to draw a walk.

And the batter should know that.

You shouldn't have to tell him.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And the batter should know that.

You shouldn't have to tell him.

These guys should know how to play the game, but they make it clear over and over that they don't. They should be learning. This may be wrong, but fit appears Hyde has no interest in teaching, or at least his teaching has been ineffective.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

The radio guys are not being kind to Severino, apparently every single foul tip is missing his glove.

Anybody watching who can comment?

I'm wondering if anybody else saw what I saw on Anderson's "stolen base" in the seventh inning.

Anderson on first, Madrigal at bat.  Anderson took off for second and had a huge jump, which should have resulted in an easy stolen base unless the batter fouled the pitch off.

The way I saw it, Madrigal DID foul the pitch off. 

The first replay showed that he swung and the ball nicked the bottom of his bat.  The ball dropped out of Severino's mitt, the plate umpire ruled it a swinging strike with no contact, and Anderson went into second uncontested.

Then they showed another replay, which wasn't as conclusive, and Palmer and Garceau dropped the issue.  The first replay was never shown again.

If Madrigal made contact, then Severino did the right thing by dropping the foul tip.  If he catches it, it's a strike and he's got no chance to throw Anderson out at second.  If he drops it, it's a foul ball and Anderson has to go back to first.

Of course, if it was a foul tip and Severino did drop it deliberately, it's just about incomprehensible why he didn't start screaming at the umpire that it was a foul tip, and signal to the bench that they needed to call for a replay challenge.

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Orioles thought they were breaking ground with a female PA announcer.

Apparently the White Sox have hired a small child to do the job 

The kid did just that half of an inning. Maybe a Sunday kids' promotion that they do there? 

There are some tough names on the ChiSox for a kid to pronounce: Yoan Moncada, Jose Abreu, Leury Garcia.

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Palmer with a good observation, Giolito hung a changeup up in the zone and DJ just stared at it. 

Palmer has had a lot of good observations lately. And the chemistry between him & Garceau has improved too.

36 minutes ago, WillyM said:

I'm wondering if anybody else saw what I saw on Anderson's "stolen base" in the seventh inning.

Anderson on first, Madrigal at bat.  Anderson took off for second and had a huge jump, which should have resulted in an easy stolen base unless the batter fouled the pitch off.

The way I saw it, Madrigal DID foul the pitch off. 

The first replay showed that he swung and the ball nicked the bottom of his bat.  The ball dropped out of Severino's mitt, the plate umpire ruled it a swinging strike with no contact, and Anderson went into second uncontested.

Then they showed another replay, which wasn't as conclusive, and Palmer and Garceau dropped the issue.  The first replay was never shown again.

If Madrigal made contact, then Severino did the right thing by dropping the foul tip.  If he catches it, it's a strike and he's got no chance to throw Anderson out at second.  If he drops it, it's a foul ball and Anderson has to go back to first.

Of course, if it was a foul tip and Severino did drop it deliberately, it's just about incomprehensible why he didn't start screaming at the umpire that it was a foul tip, and signal to the bench that they needed to call for a replay challenge.

Yes, I was also convinced from the 1st replay that it was a foul tip. I'm not sure if that is a reviewable play, but I agree that it was surprising the O's didn't say anything to the ump.