Jorge Lopez keeps improving

wildcard

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who does it like that? You do.  You said he had 4 in his start vs the Twins so you thought that was note worth.   Lopez was hitting Wynns glove with the fast ball pretty well yesterday.

And yea, I noted that he walked 4 guys in a game where he pitches 6 innings because you said he has had regular control.  That’s a lie.  

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And yea, I noted that he walked 4 guys in a game where he pitches 6 innings because you said he has had regular control.  That’s a lie.  

One start out of 6 in May.  You are a cherry picker.  I am done with this.  You did not make your point. You're just arguing to argue.  Big surprise.

Just now, wildcard said:

One start out of 6 in May.  You are a cherry picker.  I am done with this.  You did not make your point. You're just arguing to argue.  Big surprise.

Lol...your argument is the dumbest one I have ever seen on this site.

The idea that you think that you should look at rate stats in the manor you are is unreal.  Your totally lack of understanding of stats, after being on this site for all these years is amazing to me.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Lopez averaged 4.03 BB/9 in May.   I would not say that’s an area where he showed improvement.  The major improvement was allowing only 3 HR in 29.1 innings in May, vs. 6 in 21.2 in April.   Sustainable?   We will see.  

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Don't be mad because you were wrong and called out on it.  Don't be that guy.

4.03 walks per 9 isn't great.  

Can he improve on it?  Maybe, I guess we'll see.  There are some things to like about Lopez but you're acting like we insulted a family member of yours.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lopez averaged 4.03 BB/9 in May.   I would not say that’s an area where he showed improvement.  The major improvement was allowing only 3 HR in 29.1 innings in May, vs. 6 in 21.2 in April.   Sustainable?   We will see.  

Yep, that’s what I saw in looking at Lopez’s stats in May. His WHIP was virtually the same as April and the one real area of improvement was giving up less gopher balls. 

We will find out in the summer heat if it’s a sustained trend. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yep, that’s what I saw in looking at Lopez’s stats in May. His WHIP was virtually the same as April and the one real area of improvement was giving up less gopher balls. 

We will find out in the summer heat if it’s a sustained trend. 

Yes, the WHIP is an important rate stat.  IMO, if you're putting runners on, you're always walking a tightrope.  Looks like Lopez might have gotten a little lucky last month with giving up less dingers.  

As long as that rate is at 1.4+, whatever success he's having isn't sustainable, I don't think.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, the WHIP is an important rate stat.  IMO, if you're putting runners on, you're always walking a tightrope.  Looks like Lopez might have gotten a little lucky last month with giving up less dingers.  

As long as that rate is at 1.4+, whatever success he's having isn't sustainable, I don't think.

Well, his career walk rate is 3.4 per 9, so there’s some hope for modest improvement there.   Honestly I think the gopher balls have been the biggest problem in his career (1.6 per 9 IP).    If he can keep that closer to 1.0 he can have moderate success I think.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, LocoChris said:

It’s good to see him doing better, I think ultimately he’s bullpen material though. 

Yeah I think he’s a two times through the order guy but he has been pushed a little more lately, and is starting to respond. He’s gone the opposite way of Kremer, and that’s a good thing

To nobody in particular.

Wildcard is a bit of an optimist. I think most people understand that.

But there is a subset of the forum that has turned Wildcard's optimism into somewhat of a meme and personalized the objection to it. So much so in fact, that he really can't say much of anything without being forced into an alcove and beaten with rubber hoses until he confesses his sins as a homer.

There really hasn't been a whole lot to cheer about with this team. Maybe a little optimism is good for the soul in such times, and can be taken with a grain of salt if that's what you prefer. But some of the same players who are criticizing Wildcard's optimism have posted some pretty enthusiastic feature threads on some up and coming farm players which I have greatly enjoyed. (even though even those threads have at times been a little overly optimistic themselves).

Maybe we can just post our opinions of the player or the analysis without personalizing it.

I'm a noob so I don't really have much of a say in matters.. but this kind of thing is taking away from the ability to enjoy the place.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, owknows said:

To nobody in particular.

But there is a subset of the forum that has turned Wildcard's optimism into somewhat of a meme and personalized the objection to it. So much so in fact, that he really can't say much of anything without being forced into an alcove and beaten with rubber hoses until he confesses his sins as a homer.

There really hasn't been a whole lot to cheer about with this team. Maybe a little optimism is good for the soul in such times, and can be taken with a grain of salt if that's what you prefer. But some of the same players who are criticizing Wildcard's optimism have posted some pretty enthusiastic feature threads on some up and coming farm players which I have greatly enjoyed. (even though even those threads have at times been a little overly optimistic themselves).

Maybe we can just post our opinions of the player or the analysis without personalizing it.

I'm a noob so I don't really have much of a say in matters.. but this kind of thing is taking away from the ability to enjoy the place.

There's a lot of frustration with the team and state of play recently for sure, and people tend to take it out on each other on here. 

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lopez's career WHIP of 1.4+ has been pretty consistent, so maybe Lopez isn't as bad as his April numbers, but he's probably not what he was in May either.

If Lopez can keep his ERA to the 4.00 to 4.50 range, then he will have value as a pitcher. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, owknows said:

To nobody in particular.

If anyone has posted here long enough, they should know that if you can't back your thoughts/opinions up or debate in an intelligent way, you're not bringing much to the table.

It's fine to be an optimist, no one is saying otherwise.  But taking one months of pitching performance and extrapolating how someone could be on the upswing while ignoring all evidence to the contrary and then getting upset about said contrary evidence isn't engaging in honest debate. 

Everyone here would like to see Lopez become a solid contributor but there's plenty of reasons to think he won't be.  If the Orioles ever went to an opener strategy and needed someone to get through a lineup twice, he could be that guy.  He could also be the guy to bridge the gap between 4th and 5th innings and 6th and 7th innings out of the bullpen.  

9 hours ago, owknows said:

To nobody in particular.

I don’t care if he is optimistic.  

But being optimistic doesn’t mean you can make stuff up and not be called on it.  He got called on it and started making up stats and the way people look at things.  It’s an absolutely horrible stance that he took that is not only a poor opinion but is also factually wrong.  He then doubled down on it.  So yea, he’s going to take heat for that.

His argument literally says that Tanner Scott is a control pitcher because he is averaging less than one walk per game that he is in.  That is wildcards argument.  Do you think that’s a valid argument?  Do you think Scott has good control?  

Because that’s how he is arguing for the control of Lopez.  

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Everyone here would like to see Lopez become a solid contributor but there's plenty of reasons to think he won't be.  If the Orioles ever went to an opener strategy and needed someone to get through a lineup twice, he could be that guy.  He could also be the guy to bridge the gap between 4th and 5th innings and 6th and 7th innings out of the bullpen.  

I'm sure the O's are well aware of his complete collapses after 4 innings, but... so far they have chosen not to do anything about it:  Here are his OPS's given up by inning:

1st:: .517

2nd:  .620

3rd:  .632

4th:  .691

5th:  1.396

6th:  1.133 

• Upvote 1