Cedric Mullins as a CF

accinfo

50 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Well, they did wear similar uniforms.  If Mullins starts swinging at every low and outside slider, I could see some similarity, but then again Adam batted righty, and Mullins now is just a lefty.  Hmm, I'm not sure they could be more different, tbh.  

Exactly..their games are completely different.  Mullins is also the superior CFer.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly..their games are completely different.  Mullins is also the superior CFer.

Well, Jones did win four Gold Gloves.   And yes, I know some of the advanced metrics didn’t like him, but he was very good before he started to lose a step.   It would have been interesting to know how Statcast would have rated him.    

One similarity I do see is that both had excellent body control.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, Jones did win four Gold Gloves.   And yes, I know some of the advanced metrics didn’t like him, but he was very good before he started to lose a step.   It would have been interesting to know how Statcast would have rated him.    

He was really good in 2008.  He wasn’t that great after.

I don’t think he was as bad as the metrics said but he wasn’t a GG worthy CFer either.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

He was really good in 2008.  He wasn’t that great after.

I don’t think he was as bad as the metrics said but he wasn’t a GG worthy CFer either.

I more or less agree.    I do think he was very impressive in 2008.  That might have been the year he deserved a GG.

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Neither walks, each is very fast and good on defense.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Neither walks, each is very fast and good on defense.

Jones wasn’t “very fast”, at least relatively speaking.

Jones was average at best on defense...Mullins is clearly better although I’m not sure he is as good as some think.

Mullins doesn’t walk a lot but walks more.

Their games couldn’t be more different.

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jones' range was really good when he are healthy but his style of play (diving, hitting walls) banged him up quite a bit  of the time.   His bigger body caused him to hurt himself and he played through pain all the time.  So far the diving doing not seen to affect Mullins smaller body type and he doesn't challenge walls but rather adjusts to them.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

How does he remind you of Jones?  Besides the fact that they are both black and play CF, I see almost no similarities in their game.

The similarity to me is that when I see a ball hit to center field and Mullins is out there, I figure it will be caught if it's catchable. I had the same comfortable feeling when Adam was out there. 

A little different from Kiermaier a few years back. When an Oriole hit a ball to center field with him out there, I figured he would catch it, as long as it stayed in the park,  whether or not it was catchable. 

• Upvote 1

I think he’s more valuable to the O’s than any other team. By that I mean the expected return is hopefully high and unlikely to be offered. Though if someone comes at you with a couple top 10 organizational prospects it would be dumb to say no. 

Im afraid of what CF might look like if Mullins is gone. Hays can’t stay healthy, McKenna can’t hit, and our only other options would be Wilkerson or Diaz.

Just now, oriole said:

I think he’s more valuable to the O’s than any other team. By that I mean the expected return is hopefully high and unlikely to be offered. Though if someone comes at you with a couple top 10 organizational prospects it would be dumb to say no. 

Im afraid of what CF might look like if Mullins is gone. Hays can’t stay healthy, McKenna can’t hit, and our only other options would be Wilkerson or Diaz.

How can a player be more valuable for a team that isn't trying to win than he would be for a team that is trying to win?

Do you think folks are buying tickets to see Mullins specifically?  Signing up for MASN because of Mullins?

Mullins reminds me of AJ Because they both have fun, they both inspire confidence, they both run really well, they are both very graceful, they both have very sure gloves: If they get to the ball, you know they are going to catch the ball. On offense neither walks much but I am unaware of any other similarities, but I’m talking about on defense. Mainly they both inspire great confidence and I love watching them both play.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, oriole said:

Haskin is your hopeful long term option.  Obviously, that's a wait and see since its so early in his career.

OTOH, if he hits and plays well, he will move fast.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Jones wasn’t “very fast”, at least relatively speaking.

Jones was average at best on defense...Mullins is clearly better although I’m not sure he is as good as some think.

Mullins doesn’t walk a lot but walks more.

Their games couldn’t be more different.

Oh, they could be more different.   We could be comparing Mullins’ game to Mark Trumbo’s.  That would be more different.   

I’d like to know just how fast Jones was at different points in his career.    In my memory he was very damned fast when we first got him.   Then he put on some bulk but still had average CF speed for a while.  Then the last 3 years or so he was quite slow for a CF.   Unfortunately Statcast doesn’t go back far enough to document this in any objective way.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How can a player be more valuable for a team that isn't trying to win than he would be for a team that is trying to win?

Do you think folks are buying tickets to see Mullins specifically?  Signing up for MASN because of Mullins?

Just because the O’s are bad doesn’t mean they need to give away players for less than they think the players are worth. 

I think most teams would value Mullins as much as any young player who had significant struggles but has had a couple months of success. I think to the O’s Mullins is finally reaching his potential that  we had all hoped for. He can be a lonesome bright spot in an otherwise completely awful season. If we were trading away good players for whatever teams were offering because we suck anyways then Means would be on the block to the highest bidder with no reserve even if it wasn’t a great offer. I’d like to think Elias won’t be giving anyone of value away just because it’s a rebuilding season. But maybe I’m wrong and we can get a player from a teams top 15-20 for Mullins just because that’s all that’s offered. 

• Upvote 1