Cadyn Grenier showing signs of life

Frobby

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Westburg has 121 at bats at Aberdeen.  In 6 more games he should have 140 at bats.   Elias has been moving players with even less than that.  Westburg was the 30th player selected in the draft.  He could move fast if he is hitting.   I think he may be one productive week away from Bowie.

Were any of those players moved up 2020 draftees?

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Were any of those players moved up 2020 draftees?

Are any of the O's 2020 draftee doing better than Westburg?  He is the highest 2020 draft choice that is playing this year. We are only talking about 4 players here.  Two aren't playing and one is on the IL.  One just began playing in June in Rookie ball.    Small sample size.  So your question is really have the O's promoted Haskins twice.

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Are any of the O's 2020 draftee doing better than Westburg?  He is the highest 2020 draft choice that is playing this year. We are only talking about 4 players here.  Two aren't playing and one is on the IL.  One just began playing in June in Rookie ball.    Small sample size.  So your question is really have the O's promoted Haskins twice.

I am just suggesting he is in a different situation than Rutschman etc so I wouldn't necessarily assume anything about the 2019 draftees who are a year younger and didn't get the alternate site experience.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Because the AA season goes to Sept. 19 this year, there’s more time to consider promotions.  I don’t think Westburg gets moved now, but early August is a possibility.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Because the AA season goes to Sept. 19 this year, there’s more time to consider promotions.  I don’t think Westburg gets moved now, but early August is a possibility.  

I think they want to keep Westburg challenged.  When ever they feel he is dominating they may move him up.  There is room at AA.   Let's see what he does this next week.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:44 PM, wildcard said:

I respect Grenier's defense but he has to hit also.  If he is not hitting enough to get a promotion then they can just shift him to 2B.    Varva is due back in mid August.  That is a month and 5 days away.  Lot of injuries can happen in the amount of time.   Who knows where players will be.

Westburg has 121 at bats at Aberdeen.  In 6 more games he should have 140 at bats.   Elias has been moving players with even less than that.  Westburg was the 30th player selected in the draft.  He could move fast if he is hitting.   I think he may be one productive week away from Bowie.

I think it’s early to promote Westburg just yet. If he does move up, perhaps Grenier moves to Norfolk. I personally do not see Westburg moving Grenier to 2B, maybe they share SS. Grenier is a much better defender, not just a little bit better. Don’t get me wrong, though, I love Westburg’s overall ability. I do think he is a 3B in Baltimore. 

I actually think Grenier will hit enough. He has made some changes mechanically and improved his ability to be loaded in a power position and on time with the barrel. He hit a 433 foot HR to CF on Saturday. He has slumped some for a few weeks, but he has been hitting the ball solidly for most of the season. A good amount of hard contact. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Grenier now underrated?  

.725 OPS in AA. His defense has never really been a question at SS. Age 24. Looks like he’s finally tapping into his power potential and should have 10+ HR this year. Premium position. 

If Grenier can put up a 700 OPS is he a MLB starter?

11 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

If Greiner could OPS 0.700 in MLB, he would be a starter for sure

A starter for the O's or for any MLB team?  Will the rest of our team be good enough to compete with a SS or 2B that OPS's .700?  

Some time ago, Drungo gave a sobering post about OPS and how it typically drops from the high minors to MLB.  I'm rooting for Grenier, but I'm not getting my hopes up for someone that OPS's .725 in AA.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

A starter for the O's or for any MLB team?  Will the rest of our team be good enough to compete with a SS or 2B that OPS's .700?  

Some time ago, Drungo gave a sobering post about OPS and how it typically drops from the high minors to MLB.  I'm rooting for Grenier, but I'm not getting my hopes up for someone that OPS's .725 in AA.

I think the argument can be made that Grenier is filling out/developing and therefore is HR totals are increasing, which would drive a higher OPS at any level. 

As a side note, JJ Hardy had a Oriole career OPS of .690 over 7 seasons as an Oriole. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hardyjj01.shtml

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think the argument can be made that Grenier is filling out/developing and therefore is HR totals are increasing, which would drive a higher OPS at any level. 

As a side note, JJ Hardy had a Oriole career OPS of .690 over 7 seasons as an Oriole. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hardyjj01.shtml

Good point.  Looking back, it's surprising just how low Hardy's OBP was.  Of course, we had plenty of offense from other positions to support having a .690 OPS SS over that timeframe.  

3 hours ago, Hazmat said:

There are 13 shortstops that have qualified for the batting title this year with an OPS higher than .700. And Greiner is probably a better defender than a good number of them. He wouldn't be a starting shortstop on any team, but he'd be a starting shortstop on the majority of them.

I do agree it's a pretty big "if" that he can OPS .700 in MLB

3 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

There are 13 shortstops that have qualified for the batting title this year with an OPS higher than .700. And Greiner is probably a better defender than a good number of them. He wouldn't be a starting shortstop on any team, but he'd be a starting shortstop on the majority of them.

I do agree it's a pretty big "if" that he can OPS .700 in MLB

I feel like that may be so deep, that only a reincarnated Confucius would be able to decipher this one. :D

• Haha 1