Who do you trade when you are building towards winning?

Sports Guy

49 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I think outside of Mountcastle and maybe Mullins every one on the ML roster should be available if the deal is good enough. 

Can't afford another Machado situation where the return is severely lessened by waiting too long to make a deal. 

I agree with the lower part, but there is really no one on the roster who shouldn't be available.  The price of certain people should be pretty high, but I'm not hanging up on anyone who calls.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I agree with the lower part, but there is really no one on the roster who shouldn't be available.  The price of certain people should be pretty high, but I'm not hanging up on anyone who calls.

Correct. You never know when another team might overvalue a player in your organization and make a trade offer you can't refuse. 

CUFB.gif

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I agree, if they are blown away with an offer for Mountcastle, move him.

I guess I should have worded it differently, I wouldn't shop Mountcastle and maybe Mullins, but would move them for the right deal.

Just now, billw76 said:

I guess I should have worded it differently, I wouldn't shop Mountcastle and maybe Mullins, but would move them for the right deal.

Everyone is moveable for the right deal.  That's why it's called the right deal.

You'd have to be bad at your job to get the right deal and still refuse to trade a player.

2 hours ago, billw76 said:

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Everyone is moveable for the right deal.  That's why it's called the right deal.

You'd have to be bad at your job to get the right deal and still refuse to trade a player.

We tend to get too attached.  I see lots of envy towards what Tampa does.  They manage talent and they definitely do not get attached to who is in the uniform.  What Tampa does that makes them special though is they are outstanding at recognizing developable talent and that skill allows them to make moves that are actually pretty good for everyone, but especially them.

That is what I think my goal is.  We have some pretty nice young talent.  I think people are nervous that we move a Santander or Means or Mountcastle.  I don't care.  I just want to see a competing team next year and I want any moves we make to help that.  There is no question that we have some items that might interest someone.  If Elias gets a good offer why wouldn't he move.  

I just think the days of us getting quantity and low end stuff is over.  If we move someone, I would expect whatever we get back to be contributing by the end of next year.

Of course that is just my opinion.  I ain't in charge and that's ok too.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

We tend to get too attached.  I see lots of envy towards what Tampa does.  They manage talent and they definitely do not get attached to who is in the uniform.  What Tampa does that makes them special though is they are outstanding at recognizing developable talent and that skill allows them to make moves that are actually pretty good for everyone, but especially them.

That is what I think my goal is.  We have some pretty nice young talent.  I think people are nervous that we move a Santander or Means or Mountcastle.  I don't care.  I just want to see a competing team next year and I want any moves we make to help that.  There is no question that we have some items that might interest someone.  If Elias gets a good offer why wouldn't he move.  

I just think the days of us getting quantity and low end stuff is over.  If we move someone, I would expect whatever we get back to be contributing by the end of next year.

Of course that is just my opinion.  I ain't in charge and that's ok too.

Folks are terrified that someone they trade will be good or better somewhere else.

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was pretty much DD's philosophy.

Nobody is untouchable, you have your ears open to whatever they are interested in. Doesnt mean the response is yeah, sure, lets do it.