Kyle Stowers 2021

Frobby

On 9/27/2021 at 1:25 PM, Yossarian said:

That swinging out of his shoes with two strikes has worked out pretty well for Bo Bichette.  We'll see if he can keep it up, though.  He has very good hand-eye coordination.

When I've seen Bichette, he's been great at going to the opposite field.  

It’s a SSS but it’s nice to see that Stowers has shown well in AAA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.camdenchat.com/platform/amp/2021/4/6/22366653/orioles-2021-prospect-preview-kyle-stowers

Logenhagen really liked him coming out of the draft.

I want to see more of him and see if he can replicate things but he has definitely become intriguing.  I still have my doubts about him but I must say, some of those doubts are waning.  

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I think the O’s are actively planning to have Stowers on the major league roster ASAP next year.   They’ve gotten him 81 PA in AAA so far, maybe 97 or so after the weekend.   Then the AFL is usually good for another 75-100 PA.   That’s a good bit of seasoning at higher levels.   I’m sure he’ll start 2022 in the minors, but he could be up after a month or two.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The more I think about it, the more I think the O’s are actively planning to have Stowers on the major league roster ASAP next year.   They’ve gotten him 81 PA in AAA so far, maybe 97 or so after the weekend.   Then the AFL is usually good for another 75-100 PA.   That’s a good bit of seasoning at higher levels.   I’m sure he’ll start 2022 in the minors, but he could be up after a month or two.   

I agree. Might not bode well for Santander. Not sure what kind of raise he would get in arbitration, but if the Orioles plan on Stowers, Mancini, and Hays as the primary outfielders then there's no place for Santander and his arbitration salary. 

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I agree. Might not bode well for Santander. Not sure what kind of raise he would get in arbitration, but if the Orioles plan on Stowers, Mancini, and Hays as the primary outfielders then there's no place for Santander and his arbitration salary. 

Without even factoring in his arbitration raise is he a piece for the future?  For his career his OPS+ is 97 and he can't stay on the field.  Couple that with declining defense and I'm not sure salary should even come into it.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Without even factoring in his arbitration raise is he a piece for the future?  For his career his OPS+ is 97 and he can't stay on the field.  Couple that with declining defense and I'm not sure salary should even come into it.

I believe Santander has played hurt most of the year (maybe all year), and that’s affected his defense and sprint speed pretty significantly.  Now, will he be any healthier next year?    Wish I knew.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I believe Santander has played hurt most of the year (maybe all year), and that’s affected his defense and sprint speed pretty significantly.  Now, will he be any healthier next year?    Wish I knew.   

It's sort of what separates he and Hays.  Hays was able to get healthy enough to play at a high level, while Santander was not.  I agree that we simply don't know if Santander can physically bounce back next year.  This year, it never looked like he could run naturally - it was painful to watch.    

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

It's sort of what separates he and Hays.  Hays was able to get healthy enough to play at a high level, while Santander was not.  I agree that we simply don't know if Santander can physically bounce back next year.  This year, it never looked like he could run naturally - it was painful to watch.    

Well, I have always been a firm believer that injuries are often the result of random chance, rather than prone-ness to injuries.   A guy gets injured 3 years in a row, he gets labeled injury prone, when in many cases he’s just been unlucky.   A guy hurts his oblique one year and his ankle the next, I tend to believe that’s just bad luck.   

That said, there are definitely players who are more prone to injuries than others, due to a recurring weak spot, their style of play, muscle or bone structure, or whatever.   And, some guys are able to play through minor injuries without losing much effectiveness, while others are not.   

So where is Santander in all this?   I’m not totally sure.   But, at this point the burden of proof is certainly on him.   

• 2 weeks later...