Kyle Stowers 2021

Frobby

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say he won’t have a 1000 OPS in the majors.

You're saying a 1.000 OPS in the minors doesn't guarantee that same production in the majors?  All this time I thought prospect development and projection was based on simple copy/paste.   Sorry guys.  I need a minute.....................

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say he won’t have a 1000 OPS in the majors.

LOL.   But it does depend a little why is he striking out.   Is he swinging at pitches outside the zone?   Is he missing pitches in the zone?   Is he vulnerable to certain specific pitches in specific locations?

With Stowers, strike zone judgment is not the issue.   In a way that’s too bad, because that’s probably the easiest problem to address (not that any of them are easy).    In the game I attended, he struck out twice and the last five strikes were 95-96 mph fastballs in the upper part of the zone that he whiffed on.  I don’t want to draw too many conclusions from what I saw in that game, because he’d only recently been promoted to AA (it was his 5th game there) and was still adjusting to the league.   But he may have a weak spot there, and if so, there are a lot of major league pitchers who can exploit that type of weakness.   

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

LOL.   But it does depend a little why is he striking out.   Is he swinging at pitches outside the zone?   Is he missing pitches in the zone?   Is he vulnerable to certain specific pitches in specific locations?

With Stowers, strike zone judgment is not the issue.   In a way that’s too bad, because that’s probably the easiest problem to address (not that any of them are easy).    In the game I attended, he struck out twice and the last five strikes were 95-96 mph fastballs in the upper part of the zone that he whiffed on.  I don’t want to draw too many conclusions from what I saw in that game, because he’d only recently been promoted to AA (it was his 5th game there) and was still adjusting to the league.   But he may have a weak spot there, and if so, there are a lot of major league pitchers who can exploit that type of weakness.   

Unless Stowers makes some adjustments before he gets to the majors.  He is not a finished products at this point.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Unless Stowers makes some adjustments before he gets to the majors.  He is not a finished products at this point.

I agree 100%.    I’m very excited about the progress he’s making this year.   Still more work to do.  

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The more I watch of Stowers, and I've been basically watching most of his PAs of late, the more he just looks like a guy for me. Is there miss in the bat, yep, but he'll go the other way at times and take his base hits and then also sit back and just absolutely murder a pitch. The 0-2 curveball he hit for a home run to right center yesterday had to be over 400+ feet. 

Like a lot of hitters he can be taken up the ladder with a good 4-seamer but he has plenty of bat speed. While he can get better at his jumps, he's pretty solid in the outfield and has plenty of arm for RF. He's a mover for me this year.

It didn't fit for me that people were rating Haskin well above Stowers, I'm glad to see your take syncs a bit more with my intuition after seeing your new rankings! 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The more I watch of Stowers, and I've been basically watching most of his PAs of late, the more he just looks like a guy for me. Is there miss in the bat, yep, but he'll go the other way at times and take his base hits and then also sit back and just absolutely murder a pitch. The 0-2 curveball he hit for a home run to right center yesterday had to be over 400+ feet. 

Like a lot of hitters he can be taken up the ladder with a good 4-seamer but he has plenty of bat speed. While he can get better at his jumps, he's pretty solid in the outfield and has plenty of arm for RF. He's a mover for me this year.

I agree. I like what he is doing this year. In the video I have seen, it looks like he gets long, at least sometimes. I hope he tightens that up and perhaps it’s an approach thing for him. 

How is he on inside fastballs? Is there available data on AA guys like that?

On 7/19/2021 at 3:40 PM, Jammer7 said:

I agree. I like what he is doing this year. In the video I have seen, it looks like he gets long, at least sometimes. I hope he tightens that up and perhaps it’s an approach thing for him. 

How is he on inside fastballs? Is there available data on AA guys like that?

He does get long sometimes but part of it is he subscribes to the theory of "if you swing, swing hard in case you hit something." There is no statcast data available for minor leaguers unfortunately. Right now they get him swinging and missing with a good fastballs up and changeups but a lot of guys are swinging through good fastballs up, that's baseball now. He makes pretty good adjustments though and his swing decisions are pretty solid.

• Thanks 1