Kyle Stowers 2021

Frobby

Stowers development is definitely something to be excited about. We heard nothing about him for a year, and I was very curious why he was coveted by Mike Elias. Seems as though drafting unrefined college hitters with plus tools and projection might work out for this organization, at least so far in this case. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He does get long sometimes but part of it is he subscribes to the theory of "if you swing, swing hard in case you hit something." There is no statcast data available for minor leaguers unfortunately. Right now they get him swinging and missing with a good fastballs up and changeups but a lot of guys are swinging through good fastballs up, that's baseball now. He makes pretty good adjustments though and his swing decisions are pretty solid.

Roger that. I am just curious how adept he is at pulling his hands in and getting short to the ball and catching the inside pitch with the barrel out front. You don't need to swing hard there, just be on time with the barrel, and the ball will go. It used to be, not long ago, that major league pitchers would bust you inside with a big swing like that, although I do not see that as much anymore for some reason. 

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Any chance we see Stowers in Norfolk before the end of the season?

Regardless, seems like he and Neustrom could both be in the big league OF picture at some point next year.  

Hope so.  He is loudly knocking on the door.

1 hour ago, osravensfan78 said:

How good has Stowers been this season? He could be someone that moves through the system pretty quickly if he keeps this up. I tried not to get too excited about him, but this seems like a great pick so far. 

Does anyone really move through this system quickly?  I guess for the O's, being 23 years old in AA is flying through the system.   

15 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Does anyone really move through this system quickly?  I guess for the O's, being 23 years old in AA is flying through the system.   

I know you love being snarky, but considering he missed an entire season last year like everyone else and is now doing well in AA in his first full season in the minor leagues and yes, I would consider him a fast mover.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I know you love being snarky, but considering he missed an entire season last year like everyone else and is now doing well in AA in his first full season in the minor leagues and yes, I would consider him a fast mover.

The lost season throws everything off.   He’s not just holding his own in AA, he’s crushing it.    Don’t know if the O’s will push him to AAA this year or not, but you’d certainly think he’ll start there next year and be a step away from the bigs.  

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The lost season throws everything off.   He’s not just holding his own in AA, he’s crushing it.    Don’t know if the O’s will push him to AAA this year or not, but you’d certainly think he’ll start there next year and be a step away from the bigs.  

I will be very surprised if Stowers is not playing in the big leagues at some point next year if he stays healthy.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Aside from Adley, he's really been the guy that's impressed me the most after going to the last two games at Richmond. I had bever seen him live before, but he hits the ball hard, hustles and plays really smooth in the outfield--RF yesterday and LF today. I didn't get to see much of his arm though.

And having nothing to do with his play, he seems like a really nice guy. I was early to yesterday's game and he was the first one out of the dugout before the game to sign autographs for a bunch of kids and hung out for a while and chatted it up a bit before he had to get to his pregame routine. He seems like a real easy guy to root for.