Sisco DFA’ed

Legend_Of_Joey

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Using the Davis contract as a crutch, when the payroll is as low as it is, is total bs.

They have really brainwashed the fans into thinking this is all fine.  It’s truly amazing.  

If the Davis contract didn't exist we would be in this exact same place with a lower payroll.

A lot more than the Davis deal went wrong.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Just remember dit wasn't long ago Houston was run this way. They lost over 100 games three straight years. Turned out OK.

I don’t doubt we’ll have good years ahead. Just in the meantime it’d be cool if things were kept interesting. If we’re gonna be bad I’d rather see some green rookies than guys like Eschelman, Harvey, and Franco 

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ownership needs to recognize what a sunk cost is and Severino isn't even getting paid much by baseball standards. There are some pitchers on the roster who could still be around in a few years and having them work with Severino is a negative. 

If none of the Orioles catchers are going to be able to hit until AR gets called up, then at the very least they can be competent defensively. 

I always think it’s interesting when posters get worked up based on conjecture like this. Is there any evidence that the reason Severino is around is solely based on his relatively modest contract?

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I always think it’s interesting when posters get worked up based on conjecture like this. Is there any evidence that the reason Severino is around is solely based on his relatively modest contract?

You got a better theory?

It sure ain't because of ability.

2 hours ago, CHIP said:

Also... what if there is a strike in 2022 without a new CBA.  If you move Adley up to MLB he is on  40 man and not eligible to play as a strike buster.  Get major league time without the Union in 2022.  Or using up his clock in a non-playing condition.

i do enjoy going down the rabbit holes of how deep the game goes, kudos for this angle.

I am here for 2022 Rutschman to kick sand in the face of 1970 Bench, and lead the Orioles to the championship over Dodgers scabs.  Grayson Rodriguez can take Jacob deGrom's single season ERA record too!

Anyway, catchers-wise, this kind of feels like Trivial Pursuit where we've got one more wedge in the game piece working towards getting back to the middle and finishing the game.

Also, I guess we have clarity that Eshelman is their 40th man on the 40-man, so there's that.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Just remember dit wasn't long ago Houston was run this way. They lost over 100 games three straight years. Turned out OK.

Are there other recent examples of teams succeeding with an extreme Houston-style rebuild? Or it just the Astros, their hallway TV monitor and their trash can?

Not a loaded or rhetorical question. I really don't know.  :confused:

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall anyone else that was a fringe top 100 guy getting his service time gamed. 

Normally it's your top tier guys.

Got it. I don't think that's so unusual. Here's an article on Michael Chavis and if I'm reading this correct 44 others who made their MLB debut right after the cutoff with 10 in the top 100. https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/5/20/18631384/service-time-manipulation-mlb-debut-guerrero-tatis-paddack-san-diego-padres-toronto-blue-jays

19 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Are there other recent examples of teams succeeding with an extreme Houston-style rebuild? Or it just the Astros, their hallway TV monitor and their trash can?

Not a loaded or rhetorical question. I really don't know.  :confused:

I'm not sure the Cubs rebuild qualifies.  They only lost 100 once.

It was time for Sisco. He really doesn't bring anything to the field. There's no energy back there, he's a poor framer, and his bat was slow. 

Cumberland deserves a shot before giving him another shot and they have Ciuffo back so no room for him to up PAs anymore. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Got it. I don't think that's so unusual. Here's an article on Michael Chavis and if I'm reading this correct 44 others who made their MLB debut right after the cutoff with 10 in the top 100. https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/5/20/18631384/service-time-manipulation-mlb-debut-guerrero-tatis-paddack-san-diego-padres-toronto-blue-jays

This is what I'm reading

At the least, it’s highly suspect that zero top prospects were MLB-ready before April 20, but ten of them have “developed” since then.

The article appears to be supporting the idea that top guys are held back.  You can't just go by numbers and dates since fringe roster guys might be called up at any time.  You call up a fringe bullpen arm up in June it isn't becuase you were gaming his service clock, it's because your starter got knocked out of the game in the second inning in yesterday's game.

3 hours ago, CHIP said:

If you were the President of the Orioles and had to make decisions both short term and long term with a vast history of working on rebuilds and the time it takes... with more uncertainty to the future than you had previously (because the CBA expires this December)... there are posters/bloggers/fans/writers that don't care about service time considerations and contracts.  Get Adley up now and screw the clock and if he is ready.  Look what happened to the Mariner's #1 prospect.  Came up... went on a 1-40 hit streak and they had to send him back down to AAA which he pretty much skipped... 

Adley has some great talent.  He has shown some hot streaks and he has also shown some cold streaks.  Go and chart how he is hitting while catching while hitting while playing 1B.  Then... chart the pitchers he is hitting his home runs and doubles off of.  Are these high level guys?  Most of Adley's HR's are coming 1st pitch of a new pitcher.  Great plan by Adley to swing as hard as he can on the first pitch of they guy fresh outta the pen trying to establish the zone.    Adley does need to move to AAA for his bat.  My concern is his arm.  Something things off.  You don't go from his CS% in college and 2019 to 20% and have your throws going into the outfield and to the SS side of the bag.  That screams nerve issues when having to be quick and throw hard.  Nerve pain would definitely impact accuracy and velocity. 

He needs to face better pitching and get healthy because moving him to fast and then moving him back and there are too many people screaming BUST! already...  Also... what if there is a strike in 2022 without a new CBA.  If you move Adley up to MLB he is on  40 man and not eligible to play as a strike buster.  Get major league time without the Union in 2022.  Or using up his clock in a non-playing condition.

His arm, that will be the reason to delay his start in the majors next year.  I was thinking, what if Adley starts hitting .400 with power, how do you delay him being promoted to the majors.  I believe that Vlad,Jr and many other top prospects had to work on their "defense" to be major league ready.  Oddly, the amount of time required to work on defense is always equal to or slightly greater than the time required to gain another year of service time.  The old "needs to work on his defense" quote won't work for Adley, but the "arm needs to improve/recover" will work just fine.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

His arm, that will be the reason to delay his start in the majors next year.  I was thinking, what if Adley starts hitting .400 with power, how do you delay him being promoted to the majors.  I believe that Vlad,Jr and many other top prospects had to work on their "defense" to be major league ready.  Oddly, the amount of time required to work on defense is always equal to or slightly greater than the time required to gain another year of service time.  The old "needs to work on his defense" quote won't work for Adley, but the "arm needs to improve/recover" will work just fine.

Has to work on his game calling.

Or just don't give a reason at all.