Guthrie Doubters stand up

Rex Thunder

Just to expand on that... so do you think they will continue to swing the bats this way for the rest of the season? One day or another- they will start hitting. It could be tomorrow, ir could be the next day. This is a team of major league hitters, so they will heat up again. One thing I know- IT WASN'T TODAY... because of Jeremy Guthrie!

Well they certainly wont rise to become one of the better hitting teams this season. In the first half, they were among the worst.

Yeah, Guthrie pitched great and had great command. But the fact remains he did it against a team that isn't hitting well at all (even by their own standards).

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neh to the neh sayers. I'm going to enjoy this. Guthrie is emerging as a top of the rotation pitcher. His last two starts were awesome. His start coming out of the break he was off. I think it was a little dead arm problem. Since then his velocity is back and he's pitching intelligently and with confidence.
His last start wasn't that good...His end result of 6 IP/2 ER was good but that was lucky with the way he was hit, he was lucky not to give up more runs.

His last start, to me, was one of the more discouraging ones of the year, especially with how it followed some very shaky starts before that.

But he did pitch well today...His command was waning at the end and Trembley got him out at a good time.

His K rate seems to going up. He still has a great K:BB rate so I think he can sustain his success. I think he can stay below a 3.5 era by seasons end.

It'll be nice to think Bedard and Guthrie can anchor the staff while the young guys in Loewen, Olsen and Penn can develop lower in the rotation. We'll also have Burres to battle those guys for a spot in the rotation or be the longman with the spot starts that a 6th starter will surely get.

According to you, Guthrie is the luckiest pitcher in baseball. You were saying he was lucky even before his few shaky starts. You did predict a 4+

ERA for Guthrie by season's end, didn't you? I sure hope he stays lucky enough to avoid that. :rolleyes:

He has been lucky...Denying that is just pure homerism.

His K rate seems to going up. He still has a great K:BB rate so I think he can sustain his success. I think he can stay below a 3.5 era by seasons end.

It'll be nice to think Bedard and Guthrie can anchor the staff while the young guys in Loewen, Olsen and Penn can develop lower in the rotation. We'll also have Burres to battle those guys for a spot in the rotation or be the longman with the spot starts that a 6th starter will surely get.

This is what i am liking about Guthrie the most over the past month.

Very positive.

The status might show that he's been lucky to some extent, but you try to downplay most of his success due to it. You're just being stubborn because you were so down on the guy in the beginning.

I have been extremely consistent with my take on Guthrie...I have always said what i want to see out of him before i jump on his bandwagon.

BTW, his July stats through today:

4.11 ERA

1.76 HR rate

6.76 K rate

3.5 BB rate

1.91 command rate

Good and bad things...Doing some things i want to see and other things that are a cause of concern.

His BABIP as a starter is still very low but it is climbing some too, which i have wanted to see.

BTW, funny how these threads weren't there this month before this start. Where were you RZ to back him up then?

I have been extremely consistent with my take on Guthrie...I have always said what i want to see out of him before i jump on his bandwagon.

BTW, his July stats through today:

4.11 ERA

1.76 HR rate

6.76 K rate

3.5 BB rate

1.91 command rate

Good and bad things...Doing some things i want to see and other things that are a cause of concern.

His BABIP as a starter is still very low but it is climbing some too, which i have wanted to see.

BTW, funny how these threads weren't there this month before this start. Where were you RZ to back him up then?

Take out that one bad start, his worst start of the year, and then calculate all of that

If it was DCab, you'd probably take out his one bad start and show us how he had a great ERA for the month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=5370

He hasn't really had any good starts this month until today.

Wait, let me rephrase that...He hasn't had any starts that are worth taking out. Only one real bad start and the rest were ok(until today of course)

How was happy hour?

Hello Mr. Numbers. 8IP with 4ER, 0 BB, and 7K's, is not a good start in your book? The other two were technically "quality starts" as well. They certainly weren't bad.

I changed what i said.

Where were you the rest of his shaky starts this month? Are you pulling a Sapper?

How was happy hour?

Hello Mr. Numbers. 8IP with 4ER, 0 BB, and 7K's, is not a good start in your book? The other two were technically "quality starts" as well. They certainly weren't bad.

This could be pretty good.

SG, what'll it take for you to admit Guthries been pretty damn good? Even his "bad" starts weren't that bad. He's doing what CaBBrera should be doing...

Archived