Guthrie Doubters stand up

Rex Thunder

I hopped on to see what was being said about Guthrie after today's game and was surprised to see there was no new thread about it. Just a few starts ago, it seemed as though half of the guys on here were jumping ship from the Guthrie bandwagon.

Are you still there? Are you still doubting? I loved what Jim Palmer hinted at, "It's hard to annoint him as one of the game's elite pitchers, but that's what the numbers show." DEAD ON.

Guthrie is great to watch- and I love even more his positive attitude on there. Last game the defense let him down a few times- and today Payton made a big catch late to save a base hit. Guthrie's should and expression said it all. Such a great team guy- and a miracle find!

I want to know who is still doubting and why...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm loving what I'm seeing and he is performing like an elite pitcher this year. But players have career years all the time. He'll need to finish strong and pitch like this next year as well before I'll be ready to annoint him one of the games elite pitchers.

I hopped on to see what was being said about Guthrie after today's game and was surprised to see there was no new thread about it. Just a few starts ago, it seemed as though half of the guys on here were jumping ship from the Guthrie bandwagon.

Are you still there? Are you still doubting? I loved what Jim Palmer hinted at, "It's hard to annoint him as one of the game's elite pitchers, but that's what the numbers show." DEAD ON.

Guthrie is great to watch- and I love even more his positive attitude on there. Last game the defense let him down a few times- and today Payton made a big catch late to save a base hit. Guthrie's should and expression said it all. Such a great team guy- and a miracle find!

I want to know who is still doubting and why...

Rex:

We have to keep Guth, Bedard, Lowen -- one of the kids (Penn, Olson) sign a free-agent studd and our staff can go against anyone -- have to get some BATS!!

Eager to see his next start. He went up against a team that's not hitting and also got some help from his defense. On the other hand, the ump wasn't doing him any favors today. His command was back to what I expected to see from him (despite the walks, most of which were the result of missed strike three calls by the ump) but his velocity was down. I guess his next start will be against the Yanks and they've been demolishing the ball over the past couple of games so that should be a pretty telling start.

I'm loving what I'm seeing and he is performing like an elite pitcher this year. But players have career years all the time. He'll need to finish strong and pitch like this next year as well before I'll be ready to annoint him one of the games elite pitchers.

Nah...12 starts is enough to do this! :rolleyes:

He has looked very shaky lately so it was good to see him bounce back today.

He pitched good today, but that was the weakest offense in baseball today. The A's announcers were shocked the O's got Guts on waivers.

Expanding on that - they're tied for last in runs scored since the ASB, and they have the worst OPS since then at .603. The next highest team is Colorado at .640 and the next highest team in the AL is LA at .662.

Basically, Oakland's been swinging souveneir bats since the ASB.

Nah...12 starts is enough to do this! :rolleyes:

He has looked very shaky lately so it was good to see him bounce back today.

I think he can continue to be a pretty good pitcher for us even - at least as long as we hold on to Mazzone. I know Mazzone has been very modest in saying he hasn't really had to do much for Guthrie but I can't help but think his season is another instance of "Mazzone Magic". At least it's the kind of thing I think a lot of us were hoping for when we brought him to Baltimore.

He two-hit (one of which Gomez should of had) a major league team. Instead of giving him props, Orioles Hangout discusses how dismal the A's offense is... sounds about right. 2.88 ERA as of now and until he fails, I will not doubt him for one second. Guthrie truly is the anti-Ponson and that fact is very refreshing.

Neh to the neh sayers. I'm going to enjoy this. Guthrie is emerging as a top of the rotation pitcher. His last two starts were awesome. His start coming out of the break he was off. I think it was a little dead arm problem. Since then his velocity is back and he's pitching intelligently and with confidence.

Expanding on that - they're tied for last in runs scored since the ASB, and they have the worst OPS since then at .603. The next highest team is Colorado at .640 and the next highest team in the AL is LA at .662.

That's all fine and good to point out the offensive ineptitude of the opposing team TODAY, but the problem with that is, he's done it to the Red Sox, Angels, Mariners, Blue Jays, Yankees, Rockies.. just to mention a few- all of which happen to have pretty imposing offenses.

The only team which really has gotten the better of him outside of the White Sox 3 starts ago- was the Cleveland Indians during relief work... which I attribute to a psychological block against his first team more than anything. His only other outings in which he gave up 3 or more runs, it was all situations in which he just hitters came thru in the few chances they were given.

Regardless of today's opponent- he pitched with the same effectiveness he has shown for pretty much every start. I've seen Roy Halladay get slapped around by awful offenses- so don't infer that a struggling offense isn't dangerous. To me- it accentuates Guthrie's focus. Some pitchers might actually get dinged up a bit when facing an opponent they expect to dominate.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Guthrie face the Yankees this week. He has been as much of an ace to his team this year as Johan Santana has to the Twins... and if he does it against the Yankees- whose offense is red hot- what will be your excuse then??

Just to expand on that... so do you think they will continue to swing the bats this way for the rest of the season? One day or another- they will start hitting. It could be tomorrow, ir could be the next day. This is a team of major league hitters, so they will heat up again. One thing I know- IT WASN'T TODAY... because of Jeremy Guthrie!

He has shown for this first season with the O's that he the real deal!!! He had a bad stretch and came back from it......I was not a doubter due to the fact of all the hard work stories told about him from Trembley and others!!!! Not that I am trying to call him the next Maddox but when he is on he hits the mitt right on!!! That is something I am not used from an O's pitcher!!!

Can we clone him???? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived