Rays are calling up MLB’s #1 prospect(Wander Franco). Will MLB’s #2 prospect(Adley) be next?

higgybaby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What makes you so sure?   Just because the media is gabbing about it doesn’t necessarily mean it will change.  Not much in life is guaranteed.  

I have no faith in Tony Clark at all, he seems to be completely unsuited to his task.

Free Agency reform appears to be the most important issue, it is clearly understood and it could be modified fairly easily although not necessarily in a way that gives meaningful additional power to the players, and that’s what we will end up with. The most simple solution is to start the clock when a player is drafted and not when he debuts: X years from draft to FA for a College kid, X + 3-4 for a high school kid, and something similar for the 16-year old international guys. That completely eliminates any service time manipulation.

That way a 22 year old knows he’s hitting FA at about 30, when he still has a reasonable number of productive years left, instead of languishing in the minors until a call-up at 26 and hitting FA at 32. It also makes it more likely that the same kid will be amenable to a long term extension at 26-27. Lots of reasonable benefits from such a change, but the first of them will be no more service time manipulation.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Now that he’s signed for 14/$340 mm, whatever advantage may have been gained by having him play some AAA before his promotion seems like rounding error in terms of the financial consequences.    And obviously, the guy proved he was ready for the majors.  

Forget the contract for a moment.  Tatis was brought up at age 20, with no AAA experience and for a team that wasn’t winning.  

Was that a mistake?

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have no faith in Tony Clark at all, he seems to be completely unsuited to his task.

Free Agency reform appears to be the most important issue, it is clearly understood and it could be modified fairly easily although not necessarily in a way that gives meaningful additional power to the players, and that’s what we will end up with. The most simple solution is to start the clock when a player is drafted and not when he debuts: X years from draft to FA for a College kid, X + 3-4 for a high school kid, and something similar for the 16-year old international guys. That completely eliminates any service time manipulation.

That way a 22 year old knows he’s hitting FA at about 30, when he still has a reasonable number of productive years left, instead of languishing in the minors until a call-up at 26 and hitting FA at 32. It also makes it more likely that the same kid will be amenable to a long term extension at 26-27. Lots of reasonable benefits from such a change, but the first of them will be no more service time manipulation.

Money is the most important issue.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Forget the contract for a moment.  Tatis was brought up at age 20, with no AAA experience and for a team that wasn’t winning.  

Was that a mistake?

This is revisionist history, the Padres hoped to be competitive that season.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

This is revisionist history, the Padres hoped to be competitive that season.

I don’t think they felt they were a contender at that point.

They may have felt they would be better than the record they ended up having but not a contender.  (At least not a legit one…I’m not saying some pie in the sky bs, we are saying this in public thing…I mean a true contender)

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes, when is it not?

And the whole Free Agency thing is a fight over the big bag of money lying on the table. So your comment is correct but unproductive.

We don't know where the  6 to 7 years before free agency ranks on the money list. It could be:

1.  Shares of the national TV revenue?

2. Expansion dollars - How much new owners would play for club and what share the players get?

3. Streaming rights shares by the players?

4. Minor league TV right now that MLB has control of  the minor leagues

5. And many other things. 

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Was that a mistake?

From which perspective - performance or financial?   From a performance standpoint, I’d say clearly not a mistake.   From a financial perspective, probably not that wise.  (I’m not going to say “mistake” because they did it intentionally.)

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

We don't know where the  6 to 7 years before free agency ranks on the money list. It could be:

1.  Shares of the national TV revenue?

2. Expansion dollars - How much new owners would play for club and what share the players get?

3. Streaming rights shares by the players?

4. Minor league TV right now that MLB has control of  the minor leagues

5. And many other things. 

1) none. The players get their salaries.

2) none. The players have nothing to do with expansion

3) if by streaming you mean watching GM on mobile devices I’m sure that will be addressed but the answer is none. The players get their salaries.

4) that’s an interesting question but the MLBPA doesn’t give a damn about minor leaguers because they aren’t part of the MLB CBA.

5) see 1) above.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think they felt they were a contender at that point.

They may have felt they would be better than the record they ended up having but not a contender.  (At least not a legit one…I’m not saying some pie in the sky bs, we are saying this in public thing…I mean a true contender)

Maybe. But they could have thought (correctly if so as it turned out) that they would be truly competitive in 2020 and if everything fell right they could be in the conversation in 2019 (incorrectly as it turned out). If so, it follows that getting Tatis a full season in the Majors was the best thing for the team's competitive future, especially having just signed Machado to a $300 million deal. They wanted to give themselves the best chance to succeed in 2019, even if success wasn't highly likely.

And even though they didn't have a particularly good season, they still sold an additional 350,000 tickets in 2019 compared to 2018 and were a relevant Major League franchise for the first time since 1998.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Maybe. But they could have thought (correctly if so as it turned out) that they would be truly competitive in 2020 and if everything fell right they could be in the conversation in 2019 (incorrectly as it turned out). If so, it follows that getting Tatis a full season in the Majors was the best thing for the team's competitive future, especially having just signed Machado to a $300 million deal. They wanted to give themselves the best chance to succeed in 2019, even if success wasn't highly likely.

And even though they didn't have a particularly good season, they still sold an additional 350,000 tickets in 2019 compared to 2018 and were a relevant Major League franchise for the first time since 1998.

Well they can’t contend this year but the Os could contend in 2022 if a lot of things go right and they spend money this year.

What if they bring up Adley this year, he plays enough and is dominant enough to win ROY and  the team plays better and ends up with 70 wins?  They could definitely take a big leap in 2022.

The Padres, on paper, were better but their pitching staff in 2019 wasn’t good enough to contend.  They brought up Tatis because they felt he was best SS in the organization and that he had earned it.