Trey Mancini accepts invitation, will participate in Home Run Derby

SteveA

19 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Great news. I do think with this I doubt he makes the game now. Mullins will probably be only player to make the game. 

In no way am I celebrating someone's misfortune, but I'll just note that Jose Abreu, who was probably one of the guys ahead of Trey in the AL 1B All Star pecking order, took a fastball in the knee about 15 minutes ago.  Writhed on the ground in pain, was helped off the field putting zero weight on the affected leg.

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

In no way am I celebrating someone's misfortune, but I'll just note that Jose Abreu, who was probably one of the guys ahead of Trey in the AL 1B All Star pecking order, took a fastball in the knee about 15 minutes ago.  Writhed on the ground in pain, was helped off the field putting zero weight on the affected leg.

Trey is in a rather significant slump in June, which has taken his OPS all the way down to .789.  I doubt we see a sub-.800 OPS 1B/DH at the all-star game.   So let’s worry more about him doing what he needs to do to earn a spot, rather than what his competitors are doing.   

• Upvote 1

Good for Trey.

Normally the Home Run Derby ruins a guy for a while after he participates (or is that just an old wive's tale?).  I think it might do Trey some good.  He is in a deep funk hitting right now.  Seeing a few balls go over the fence might do wonders for his confidence and getting his stroke back.  He would be well-received by the other players on that weekend, as well.  He seems like a very likeable guy that you want to see have some success - Oriole or not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Good for Trey.

Normally the Home Run Derby ruins a guy for a while after he participates (or is that just an old wive's tale?).  I think it might do Trey some good.  He is in a deep funk hitting right now.  Seeing a few balls go over the fence might do wonders for his confidence and getting his stroke back.  He would be well-received by the other players on that weekend, as well.  He seems like a very likeable guy that you want to see have some success - Oriole or not.

Some players are affected by the HR derby - I don’t think it’s that many, but you always hear about it when a player has a bad second half.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Some players are affected by the HR derby - I don’t think it’s that many, but you always hear about it when a player has a bad second half.  

Aaron Judge was an example of that. But I am thrilled that Trey will be in it, and I can't wait to see how he does.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:54 PM, Yossarian said:

Normally the Home Run Derby ruins a guy for a while after he participates (or is that just an old wive's tale?). 

Who gets selected for the home run derby?  Usually people having a very good first half hitting home runs.  Who are among the more likely players to regress in home run hitting?  Those who had a big first half.

It's like the SI cover jinx.  Who's on the cover?  The person playing way over their head and likely to fall back to career norms.

• Upvote 1

With the addition today of Soto and Gallo,I believe the contestant list is complete.  I think in past years they have had 4 players from each league, but it looks like 5 of the 8 are from the AL this year:

AL: Trey Mancini, Joey Gallo, Matt Olson, Shohei Ohtani, Salvador Perez

NL: Juan Soto, Trevor Story, Pete Alonso.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

With the addition today of Soto and Gallo,I believe the contestant list is complete.  I think in past years they have had 4 players from each league, but it looks like 5 of the 8 are from the AL this year:

AL: Trey Mancini, Joey Gallo, Matt Olson, Shohei Ohtani, Salvador Perez

NL: Juan Soto, Trevor Story, Pete Alonso.

I guess that confirms the O's are trading Mancini to the NL before the game.