FCL happenings

Frobby

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

I’m honestly shocked that the black team is performing this well. Very young team full of guys that have little experience. Mayo looks to be the best of the bunch but Acevedo, who I know the development staff is high on, is hitting over .300 from the lead off spot and there are a few ME trade acquisitions having solid debuts as well. Orange team needs the new draftees ASAP as they are very light on talent at the moment. Still don’t see a downside to having two squads.

They've been using the orange team to rehab pitchers and to give low prospect guys a chance before getting cut. It's an interesting concept.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They've been using the orange team to rehab pitchers and to give low prospect guys a chance before getting cut. It's an interesting concept.

Well, they do have a few bonus babies, though the Black team has the majority.   

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, they do have a few bonus babies, though the Black team has the majority.   

Frobby, you are have a unique talent to look at every single sentence and find the one thing that may not be 100% correct even if its said in a quick manner. Bravo. 

Add in mostly before my statement if it makes you feel better! :D

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Frobby, you are have a unique talent to look at every single sentence and find the one thing that may not be 100% correct even if its said in a quick manner. Bravo. 

Well, he is a lawyer.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Lawyer habits.   That’s why everyone hates lawyers (one reason, anyway).   

I think you and I “mostly” see the Orange team the sane way.   It’s interesting that they didn’t divide the talent more equally.   I agree that must have been a conscious decision.   

At one time around 1988 the Braves had 3 full season class A teams.  One in my home town Durham.

When asked why they did it Bobby Dews said "primarily to develop an extra staff of pitchers.

It also gives two legitimate 3rd base prospects everyday playing time. Moises Ramirez and Coby Mayo.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the sixth week of the FCL season.   By my count, the Orioles Black team has been rained out 8 times, with another game suspended in the first inning.   The Orange team has been rained out 5 times.   These figures exclude one game between Orange and Black that was rained out but made up later.    Add in the fact that the FCL carries a very light schedule on Wednesdays, and it seems like our teams are never playing.   

Edit: just looked at the 10-day weather forecast for Sarasota.   Sunny today (Orange plays Black at noon), then a 30-60% chance of rain every single day through next Sunday.   Jeez.  

36 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Multiple draft picks starting in the field for the Orange today.  College guys picked in July.

All 3 outfielders and 3 infielders.

36 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Multiple draft picks starting in the field for the Orange today.  College guys picked in July.

All 3 outfielders and 3 infielders.

Every position player but 3rd, including DH

This game is practically the Sharks vs. the Jets.    All but one starter for Black is a Latino, while only one starter for Orange is.   I wonder if it was the plan all along to put most of the good Latino players on the Black squad, with a relatively weak Orange team that could be bolstered by the new draft class when it arrived.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1