Alex Wells 2021

Frobby

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, you are way too quick to give up on people. 

What are you fools seeing in my comment? I specifically said I don’t want to stop giving him opportunities. I’m a huge Wells fan, I want him to do well. Giving up on some of the people I have given up in the past was reasonable and timely, but I’m not giving up on Wells. what I have said and I’ll say it again is that he has failed so far(which he has)
If I thought he was a failure I would not advocate giving him any more opportunities. There is a difference and I’m sorry I can’t say it in words small enough for you to understand.

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Appears to have is just as ridiculous of a statement.

You can say, he failed in yesterday’s start.  Anything else using the word failed is completely over the top.

Look I have a life, I’m not going to keep debating semantics. If you inferred that from what I said, you go right ahead. I bet communicating with you in real life is quite a party. Meanwhile I hope we win today.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Look I have a life, I’m not going to keep debating semantics. If you inferred that from what I said, you go right ahead. I bet communicating with you in real life is quite a party. Meanwhile I hope we win today.

Inferring?  Your exact words were “he appears to have failed”

Perhaps, instead of being a typical person nowadays who doesn’t want to take accountability for anything, YOU should look at what you wrote and learn to say what you mean.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I did not say anything that contradicted that. I was just saying that I’m sad that he seems to have failed. Some guys give a glimmer of hope in the beginning And they end up getting a longer chance than they should. Other guys get thrown in the deep end and sink and that’s that. I hope we will see more of Wells, but I don’t have a lot of hope that we will see anything different from Wells.

“He seems to have failed”

”Dont have a lot of hope that we will see anything from Wells”

You also went on to say, in a different post, that you haven’t given up on him.

And you wonder why people are questioning your wording.  Lol

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Inferring?  Your exact words were “he appears to have failed”

Perhaps, instead of being a typical person nowadays who doesn’t want to take accountability for anything, YOU should look at what you wrote and learn to say what you mean.

Yes that’s exactly what I said and that’s what I meant, but I wasn’t writing him off.

If I were I would have suggested designating him and sending him back to Australia or something equally definite. I specifically said approximately one sentence later that he needs to have more opportunities. If I thought he was a failure I would not have made that suggestion.

Just now, Philip said:

Yes that’s exactly what I said and that’s what I meant, but I wasn’t writing him off.

If I were I would have suggested designating him and sending him back to Australia or something equally definite. I specifically said approximately one sentence later that he needs to have more opportunities. If I thought he was a failure I would not have made that suggestion.

You saying he deserves more chances doesn’t negate you saying he appears to have failed.  That’s the point we were saying.  You can’t talk out of both sides of your mouth and then act like they aren’t 2 separate statements.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You saying he deserves more chances doesn’t negate you saying he appears to have failed.  That’s the point we were saying.  You can’t talk out of both sides of your mouth and then act like they aren’t 2 separate statements.

I guess I don't get how saying a player has failed so far equates to never giving him any more chances? Wells' stuff and command has not been good so far in the majors and it needs to improve for him to have success.

As we both agree, Wells needs pinpoint command, change speeds, and some good luck to have longterm success in the major leagues. He has a 7.64 ERA and a 1.87 WHIP at the major league level. That is failing overall. 

If someone suggests he should be DFA'd then that would be premature and an overreaction to the situation. Perhaps it's semantics, but I didn't see anything besides his poor choice of saying "you fools" in his comments that were that wrong.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess I don't get how saying a player has failed so far equates to never giving him any more chances? Wells' stuff and command has not been good so far in the majors and it needs to improve for him to have success.

As we both agree, Wells needs pinpoint command, change speeds, and some good luck to have longterm success in the major leagues. He has a 7.64 ERA and a 1.87 WHIP at the major league level. That is failing overall. 

If someone suggests he should be DFA'd then that would be premature and an overreaction to the situation. Perhaps it's semantics, but I didn't see anything besides his poor choice of saying "you fools" in his comments that were that wrong.

Big difference between he has failed so far and he appears to have failed.  One infers that he hasn't been good so far, the other one is saying he won't be good.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Big difference between he has failed so far and he appears to have failed.  One infers that he hasn't been good so far, the other one is saying he won't be good.

Eh, seems like semantics to me, but anyways, at the end of the day Wells' stuff and command need to improve. Now that I have statcast data on him, it's hard to be too confident that he's a real part of the future. 

But, no reason not to send him back to AAA and see what he can improve.

I'd love to see someone do a study regarding the long term benefits of continually shuttling a pitcher like Wells (or any of a number of Oriole pitchers/players) back and forth between the majors and AAA vs just letting the guy work it out at the ML level. I understand teams in contention may not want to do that, but the O's are not that team.