Lowther down, Anderson up

Legend_Of_Joey

Lowther has now pitched a total of 32.2 innings this year between the minors (24.1) and the majors (8.1).  That’s about 2-3 starts worth of innings less than most of our top prospects.  For example, Grayson Rodriguez has thrown 53 innings, Kyle Bradish 43.2 and Kevin Smith 40.0.   

• Thanks 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Lowther has now pitched a total of 32.2 innings this year between the minors (24.1) and the majors (8.1).  That’s about 2-3 starts worth of innings less than most of our top prospects.  For example, Grayson Rodriguez has thrown 53 innings, Kyle Bradish 43.2 and Kevin Smith 40.0.   

This is pretty interesting, but it could also mean they want Lowther to be able to be an option to pitch for the ML club all season. Some other guys might hit their innings limit early. 

He's at least been a little more competitive of late. 

My immediate Reaction to this move was, “God how stupid.”

however I think it is much more likely that they are expecting that Tate is going to get blasted, and they want Anderson here to suck up several innings. Immediately after the game he will be designated or optioned or whatever And Lowther will return after the break

Lowther threw 61 pitches yesterday, And I’ll bet that is why they thought the move was necessary. If he had only thrown 10-12, He might have stayed to suck up innings today.

So, not a stupid move. Starting Tate over Wells might be, but Tate probably isn’t going more than 3 innings anyway, so Wells will get into the game, I’m confident.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

My immediate Reaction to this move was, “God how stupid.”

however I think it is much more likely that they are expecting that Tate is going to get blasted, and they want Anderson here to suck up several innings. Immediately after the game he will be designated or optioned or whatever And low through will return after the break

Lowther threw 61 pitches yesterday, And I’ll bet that is why they thought the move was necessary.

Wow, that’s a lot of pitches in 2 innings of work.  Perhaps he should try not hitting guys when he has two strikes on them.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It really is weird how they are yo-yoing him around like he's a org guy just eating various innings instead of focusing on his development as a starter. Makes me wonder if the org doesn't see him as an actual starting pitching prospect.

• Upvote 1

I have never seen Lowther pitch, but eyeballing his season-by-season stats, it looks like not pitching in 2020 may have really messed up his development. ERAs of 1.66 and 2.18 in 2017-18, followed by 2.55 during a full season at AA in 2019 (only 102 hits allowed in 148 innings, but 63 walks).

• Upvote 3

When I project Lowther next year he is not in the rotation.  That has nothing to do with how he has done in the first half.   Next year I have Means. Grayson, DL, Tyler Wells and Kyle Bradish  or Zimmermann ahead of him.  That makes Lowther a reliever and spot starter.    This is most because Lowther does not have the mid 90s fastball.   If Elias is thinking the same way then having him be the pitcher that comes up this season when a spot start or reliever is needed make sense to me.

• Upvote 1