Could Jahmai Jones be a better overall left fielder than Austin Hays?

wildcard

On 7/9/2021 at 5:35 PM, Frobby said:

By the way, if we were going to bench an outfielder to make room for Jones, wouldn’t it make more sense to bench Santander (.676 OPS, -0.2 rWAR) and move Hays to RF?

I don't think they need to bench anyone.  They would just have 6 guys for 5 spots.  Give each guy  an extra day off a week. 

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

If we haven't even developed two everyday outfielders in this rebuilding process yet, we are further behind than I feared.  There isn't a whole lot coming up through the minors that are quality outfielders, right?  Where are the everyday starters going to come from?  Losing the 2014 and 2016 first round picks has really hurt us now.  They should be players now in their prime and be either foundations for a good young team going forward, or valuable trade offerings.  Then there's the tragedy that has befallen Kjerstad that (I'm awful for saying this) puts the O's even further behind with the loss of another solid first rounder.  

If we don't have even two dependable, solid, everyday outfielders out of the 6 mentioned, where do we get them?  Especially considering the holes in pitching, 2B, and 3B we have.  Now I'm depressed again.

I don't think the outfield situation is as bleak as you make it out. Both Hays and Santander are everyday outfielders IF they can stay healthy which is obviously the biggest question. 

The minor league depth in the outfield is not that bad though but admittedly there is no can't miss every day impact outfield prospect. 

While Diaz and McKenna look more like 4th outfield types, Jones and Haskins are guys that still could be everyday outfielders. then we have Neustrom who has become interesting of late and Watson in Aberdeen bears watching. The FCL Orioles have some guys to watch as well so it's not like it's barren. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think the outfield situation is as bleak as you make it out. Both Hays and Santander are everyday outfielders IF they can stay healthy which is obviously the biggest question. 

The minor league depth in the outfield is not that bad though but admittedly there is no can't miss every day impact outfield prospect. 

While Diaz and McKenna look more like 4th outfield types, Jones and Haskins are guys that still could be everyday outfielders. then we have Neustrom who has become interesting of late and Watson in Aberdeen bears watching. The FCL Orioles have some guys to watch as well so it's not like it's barren. 

Is Diaz a 4th outfielder type because he can't stay on the field?  Kind of a big fall for a guy that was OPSing .900+ in AA as a 21 year old when we traded for him...

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Is Diaz a 4th outfielder type because he can't stay on the field?  Kind of a big fall for a guy that was OPSing .900+ in AA as a 21 year old when we traded for him...

Part it is certainly he can't stay on the field. The other part is when I watch him, nothing jumps out at me as an everyday guy. He still doesn't have much of a plan at the plate, his defense is average at best though he does have an above average arm. He doesn't run all that great so what is he? I will leave it a bit as an incomplete since he's never healthy but that is certainly part of his problem.