Gary Rajsich drafts

On 7/22/2021 at 4:58 AM, Frobby said:

I remember there was a pretty knowledgeable poster here who thought Christian Colon would be better than Manny and was the safer pick.   But I agree, the consensus that year was there was a clear top 3 and everyone else was a tier below.   

Edit: went looking for posts about Colon and found this:

Here was my comment on this:

If only the O's had picked Colon and Kotchman, they would have had a dynasty. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 10:45 AM, Jammer7 said:

Rajsich did a good job as scouting director. Some early round misses, but many lower round hits. Jordan had some hits, and some high pick misses that really set us back. But, what if these scouting directors had our current player development staff and the organizational relationships that exist now? Were the picks bad? In some cases, yep. Could others have been developed better? Yep. We’ll never know, but I never blame the scouting director as much as I do the GM’s. I often wondered how much those scouting directors dictated the first few rounds. Or was it ownership, McPhail and Duquette trying to address team needs. 

Elias gutted the organization and built it back up with the idea that scouts and PD folks work together through the entire process. They know what kinds of players they develop best and present value for this organization. And they seem to have autonomy to make baseball decisions without ownership interference. 

Cough *Davis* cough.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cough *Davis* cough.

Yeah, I know. That may not even be all ownership. They have saved some money with his injuries the past few seasons with the insurance. Maybe they release him this offseason, finally. They do need the roster spot. 

As II BuonO said, I was referring to the scouting and player development world.