Does Watkins Have Any Trade Value?

NelsonCruuuuuz

37 minutes ago, Philip said:

No.

He’s a great story, and he may be more desirable As time goes on, he has no value as a trade piece but plenty of value to us.

Watkins isn't considered a prospect and he's only pitched 20 innings in MLB. Watkins' greatest value to the Orioles is to continue pitching for them and see if he can make it as a pitcher. 

At best maybe you're getting a DSL prospect for Watkins right now. If he develops into a solid pitcher then he'll have trade value down the line. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Watkins isn't considered a prospect and he's only pitched 20 innings in MLB. Watkins' greatest value to the Orioles is to continue pitching for them and see if he can make it as a pitcher. 

At best maybe you're getting a DSL prospect for Watkins right now. If he develops into a solid pitcher then he'll have trade value down the line. 

Of course, no argument. But I’m not the guy who made the suggestion, you should share this with him.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think his greatest value to the Orioles is to eat as many of the ~1450 innings the Oriole pitchers have to throw as possible.

• Upvote 1

I think the value to Watkins is a diamond in the rough type of pitcher and that requires some faith and a big dose of hope. That doesn’t play in trade discussions I don’t think so he’ll be in Baltimore whether he’s good or bad. 

Watkins has no trade value whatsoever. He's a guy who has marginal stuff and has to have his A command to be successful. Now, if he pitches effectively until next year's trading deadline then he would have some value because he'd have a track record of success, but even then, at 29 years old, he's not the kind of arm that brings a big return. 

He's here to eat innings and make the most of his opportunity. 

I was at Fangraphs trying to find out his total days on the major league roster, but I was unsuccessful, although I’m sure the information is easy to find I just didn’t know where to find it.

He’s got his health care for life, and after 44 days on the 26-man, he gets his pension. While he’s accruing those days( which he probably will) he gets about $3500 a day.

Everything else is gravy.