Colton Cowser 2021

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was expected to be pricey, slots weren't really a thing, not like they are now.

I don't know how close the rankings were but rumor has it the Rays (first pick in the draft) had him at the top of their board.

Having a catcher would not stop me from taking a catcher if I thought he was the BPA. 

I do think the O's were looking at college arms that could be ready quickly at that time.

I was just looking at some 2008 mock drafts.   Everyone had the O’s picking Matusz.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was just looking at some 2008 mock drafts.   Everyone had the O’s picking Matusz.   

I'm not ripping on the 2008 O's for picking Matusz.  I have defended him more than most here.

I was just saying having a player in the system shouldn't preclude you from picking the BPA.

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not ripping on the 2008 O's for picking Matusz.  I have defended him more than most here.

I was just saying having a player in the system shouldn't preclude you from picking the BPA.

Yes, I know that’s what you meant, and I agree 100%.    I do think that when it’s a very close call as to who is BPA, it’s reasonable to factor in need in making a choice.   It’s pretty obvious the O’s really liked Cowser, because OF was far from their greatest area of need.

Has Blood been wrong about any of the players he's gushed about? Seems like he was right on at every step of the way this year in terms of how they performed. Now, he's probably just relaying information that he's been given by the actual scouts and coaches in the organization, but they've been right. It's not like he's sitting there saying Caydn Grenier is going to be an above average everyday SS. Most of what he's said is these guys that we drafted high and are pretty highly regarded nationally are great and keep an eye out for these more unheralded guys (Ortiz, Stowers, Mayo etc) even though they have a long way to go. I feel like people don't actually listen to what these guys say. I've listened to just about every interview I can and in every single one Blood, Elias or whoever basically says "I like this guy. He does this and that well let's see how he does as he moves up." They are obviously positive of the guys in their system as literally any FO is, but to say it's "propaganda" is hyperbolic. 

36 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I suspect he's had gushing reviews of middle of the road prospects. Not that they're trash, but they can't all be 5 tool players.

I'd have to re-read the interviews.  He's enthusiastic which is fine.   Does he misstate things?   That would different.   If someone said Mountcastle had a 50 arm when he was a prospect then we'd be less trusting of that guy's opinion.    So, if you are going to be crtical of Matt Blood or accuse him of drinking to much Orange Kool-Aid then where has he been inaccurate in his description of individual prospects?