What would it take for the Cubs to land B-Rob this year?

GotNitro

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread just reminds me why I've got no interest in Roberts: he's dramatically overpriced by the O's and their fans.

If a reasonable deal is available for three or four of the expendable guys I mentioned (something that parallels the Rich Harden deal), then great.

Otherwise, forget it and engage the Marlins in talks for Hermida. Younger, cheaper, more years of control, more upside, and a better fit to the Cubs' needs. Or just sign a FA.

The Cubs aren't in a spot where they need to bend over and take it for one year of Brian Roberts.

This thread just reminds me why I've got no interest in Roberts: he's dramatically overpriced by the O's and their fans.

If a reasonable deal is available for three or four of the expendable guys I mentioned (something that parallels the Rich Harden deal), then great.

Otherwise, forget it and engage the Marlins in talks for Hermida. Younger, cheaper, more years of control, more upside, and a better fit to the Cubs' needs. Or just sign a FA.

The Cubs aren't in a spot where they need to bend over and take it for one year of Brian Roberts.

Hey now! My trade proposals have been perfectly reasonable. :D

I've learned a lot since last offseason. ;)

And the Orioles are not in a place where they need to bend over and take and trade him away for anything less than top prospects....

If I was Hendry the names I'd be floating would be Hill, Fontenot, Cedeno, Wuertz, Veal.

Maybe Nate Spears' name comes up. His production in the pitching-friendly Southern League suggests he looks like he could have a decent future in MLB.

Kevin Hart is another former O that could be returned to the nest.

Marquis, sure.

The Cubs aren't a good match for Roberts.

Robert's has more value tham expendable parts. I have no interest in taking the Cubs spare parts. We need to add quality players to out team. We need to find another team, where we can get a better return, to deal with.

Vitters is one of their top prospects, and IMO Cedeno for Scott would be a fair trade straight up. Therefore getting one of their top prospects along with Hill, Fontenot, and someone else is a steal.

Scott has more value than Cedeno and if he doesn't, you keep him as he brings more to the team than his trade value.

My greatest apology for this.

The Cubs greatest weakness is the one-two spots in the order. Brian is an aggressive, base jumping, doubles machine (not to mention a defensive Hoover with some leadership and composure). The Cubs may not be in the Century Club if they had made Andy an offer he couldn't refuse last year.

I understand that you guys don't have the right pieces to make this deal without adding parts that you do not wish to do without. Nonetheless, Roberts would fill a huge hole in the Cubs offensive team while strengthening the defense.

What could have been Dave, what could have been...

You're absolutely correct!!! Some of these trades deals are so hilarious!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're absolutely correct!!! Some of these trades deals are so hilarious!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3704339

"Chicago didn't give us any deadline," Padres general manager Kevin Towers told the Union-Tribune. "I imagine we'll continue to talk to them, but it's going to definitely take a third team to get something done there."

I'm not saying Roberts = Peavy, but Kevin Towers illustrates wonderfully what most Cubs fans need to absorb : Your system isn't very deep right now.

My greatest apology for this.

The Cubs greatest weakness is the one-two spots in the order. Brian is an aggressive, base jumping, doubles machine (not to mention a defensive Hoover with some leadership and composure). The Cubs may not be in the Century Club if they had made Andy an offer he couldn't refuse last year.

I understand that you guys don't have the right pieces to make this deal without adding parts that you do not wish to do without. Nonetheless, Roberts would fill a huge hole in the Cubs offensive team while strengthening the defense.

What could have been Dave, what could have been...

Roberts wouldn't strengthen the Cubs' defense in any appreciable way.

The Cubs' offense led the NL in runs scored, and most other meaningful categories (OBP, SLG, and others), so any discussion of weaknesses has to be put in proper context... in essence they had no weaknesses last year.

The notion that Roberts could've led the Cubs to the WS last year is way too speculative to even warrant discussion. Much more likely would be a 3-game slump just like Soriano had, and no difference whatsoever in the outcome.

Archived