Diplan and Dusten Knight joining team

eddie83

4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Very clear that this is what should be done. Just an inning or two would be a waste of his combination of velocity and variety of pitches. It's an experiment but they should find the right 2-3 inning pitcher to pair him with. On the rare occasion that Lopez can go 6 (like he did the day before yesterday vs. the Y's), the other half then becomes available as middle relief.

I'd be fine with just releasing him. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If I had to guess right now I would say that Lopez will be protected on the 40 roster in late Nov.   He appears at worst a decent reliever.   But now  is not the time to make that decision.   The O's can wait until after the season is over.

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm as critical as the next guy with Lopez, but I mean... the guy has pitched 100 innings which is the most on the team. I'm not saying he deserves a rotation spot on that fact alone, but a straight release is overkill for an organization that desperately needs to cover innings this year. He's exactly the type of guy the Rays would snatch up in a SECOND for their bullpen. Lopez isn't a good starting pitcher, but he certainly has more value than other DFA fodder.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

The site says 2022 is "Arb 1" - is it wrong or am I misreading it? Not too familiar with this site, admittedly. 

Plutko in Jan 2021 had a little over 2 years of service time.   If he stays in the majors all this season he will hit 3 years of service which will make him arbitration eligible this off season.   Just another reason why Plutko will not be protected on the roster this offseason.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Plutko in Jan 2021 had a little over 2 years of service time.   If he stays in the majors all this season he will hit 3 years of service which will make him arbitration eligible this off season.   Just another reason why Plutko will not be protected on the roster this offseason.

Is there any reason we are protecting him now? Asking for a friend…

6 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

So 

1. Tyler Wells replacing Alex Wells on the active roster

2. Marcus Diplan and Dusten Knight replacing Shaun Anderson & Adam Plutko on both the active and the 40 man? 

Seems like the transactions I would like the best. 

Plutko is a no brainer to be nontendered anyway in a couple months and there is nothing there.

He was a stud in the cleanup role until they spot started him.

Just now, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Stupid question: where did we get these two guys from? Did we draft them? Trades?

Diplan we claimed on waivers a couple years ago, DFA'd, and then signed to a minor league deal. Knight was a straight minor league deal I believe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is there any reason we are protecting him now? Asking for a friend…

Injuries and pitch limits for prospects.   We may see a lot of tried arm in August and Sept.   Elias probably wants to hold to his pitching inventory as much as possible.  Most of the pitchers Elias DFAs he probably figures will pass through waivers.  Plutko because of his major league experience will probably no make it through waivers. Many MLB teams will experience a pitching shortage over the next two months.

• Upvote 1