Your 2022 FA Wish List

Il BuonO

9 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I'm adding Jose Quintana to my list of potential FA starter acquisitions.  He'll be 33 next season and possibly available on the cheap.  Could play the LeBlanc/Harvey role with upside if he can be straightened out.  

I can see that - especially since he had 12.1 K's per 9 innings this season.    

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

I'm adding Jose Quintana to my list of potential FA starter acquisitions.  He'll be 33 next season and possibly available on the cheap.  Could play the LeBlanc/Harvey role with upside if he can be straightened out.  

I don't hate that idea. I think he's got far more upside than LeBlanc or Harvey did. I still hope they shoot a bit higher and bring in someone that could ultimately be a mid-rotation arm when we start to compete in a couple years to be a stabilizing presence alongside Means (E-Rod, Gray, Desclafani). But, I'm--of course--skeptical that will actually be the course of action and if we are going to go the path of a cheap innings eater on a one-year deal, there are far worse darts to throw than Quintana. I'd like him on a 1 year deal with a team option so he can be part of 2023 if he does, in fact, get straightened out. It would also make him more tradeable should that root prove more lucrative. 

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

I can see that - especially since he had 12.1 K's per 9 innings this season.    

Pitches per Game in relief dropped from 50 last year to 25 this year.   I do like Quintana's overlap as a slower left command over stuff type who made it, for all our guys like that who hope to.   Maybe Elias meant him too hawking them there "opportunities".

ESPN Passan put out an overview this week https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/32297475/jeff-passan-early-2021-22-mlb-free-agency-tiers

In the lowest tier (but still above the Quintana type guys who may have to go camp invite path) were:

Brett Anderson, T. Anderson, Bundy, Cueto, Davis, Duffy, Greinke, Happ, Kikucki, K.H. Kim, Kluber, Lester, Lyles, Matz, Paxton (April 2021 Tommy John), G. Richards, Smyly, Alex Wood

Same as last offseason, I'll root for Good Hurt Pitchers and 2023 options, but Ken Giles and Tommy Kahnle weren't won last year.

Also, ouch on Passan's Greinke pegging.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:42 AM, eddie83 said:

Look at previous regimes here. 

Pearce, R Lopez, Guthrie, Gibbons. I know I’m leaving some other names out. It’s time. 

Miguel Gonzalez, Koji Uehara and Wei-Yin Chen come to mind, but like others are saying the Orioles have such a small payroll they should probably go bigger pretty soon on better known FA pitching.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:48 AM, vab said:

A team that's been one of the worst in baseball for five seasons who plays their home games in a bandbox in the toughest division probably in sports. I think Matt Harvey is about the limit to what will be available to this club in pitching free agents. 

No, as the O's get better and spend more money they'll have much better options.  The question is whether they will pursue them aggressively as their competitors -- and be smarter about who they sign and for how long.

20 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

No, as the O's get better and spend more money they'll have much better options.  The question is whether they will pursue them aggressively as their competitors -- and be smarter about who they sign and for how long.

A lot of free agents are going to sign where the most money and years are offered.  I'm not saying Baltimore is their first choice, but it has been shown time and time again that most free agents want the most money. 

Gimme a passable defensive 2nd baseman that hits .265 without too many strikeouts.

A decent back of the order candidate, and a Tommy John reclamation project...  and maybe bring back Harvey

Outfield...  Hays, Mullins, Stowers

Infield...  Gutierrez (until Dorrian), Urias, FA, Mountcastle

Catcher.... Rutschman

DH... Mancini (until Mundy)

SP.....  Means, Zimmerman, FA, Lowther, FA,  Harvey

Pen... Sulser, Tate, Diplan, Whoever

33 minutes ago, owknows said:

Gimme a passable defensive 2nd baseman that hits .265 without too many strikeouts.

A decent back of the order candidate, and a Tommy John reclamation project...  and maybe bring back Harvey

Outfield...  Hays, Mullins, Stowers

Infield...  Gutierrez (until Dorrian), Urias, FA, Mountcastle

Catcher.... Rutschman

DH... Mancini (until Mundy)

SP.....  Means, Zimmerman, FA, Lowther, FA,  Harvey

Pen... Sulser, Tate, Diplan, Whoever

I think relying on Dorrian or Mundy for anything at the major league level is a pretty big stretch. Dorrian is basically a non-prospect and Mundy is reeeealy going to have to hit to be a useful major-leaguer

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think relying on Dorrian or Mundy for anything at the major league level is a pretty big stretch. Dorrian is basically a non-prospect and Mundy is reeeealy going to have to hit to be a useful major-leaguer

Because taking a 2022 flyer on a bat who has crushed every level of his development, and an unproven 3B.... might jeopardize our playoff chances?