Offseason trade target: David Price

Sports Guy

We may be looking to take a “next step”. But I’m thinking more “baby step”.  I have been pondering David Price for awhile.  Not sure how I missed the OP back in August.  Anyway,  I’m thinking Dodgers pick up 8 million more of the original 32 leaving us with 8 million.  I am also re signing Matt Harvey now for a little more than he signed for last year.  He took the ball for us 28 times.  Sure not great results but there is value in taking the ball.  The third starter I would court is Rich Hill.  Yes, 42 y.o. next March Rich Hill, who took the ball for 31 starts this year and produced a 2.5 WAR. 
If I could have all 3 ( Price, Harvey & Hill ) for under 15 million out of pocket and get 70 starts out of them and 55 more out of Means and GrayRod I’d be pretty happy!

Bring these guys into the fold early this off season!  I mean as soon as the ink is dry on the new CBA!  Put Akin, Kremer, Lopez, Zimmerman, Baumann, A. Wells, Lowther on notice that they will need to fight their way onto the opening day roster.   T. Wells goes back to starting in spring and if successful, starts in Norfolk rotation in April.

BTW I seem to remember David Price hoping the O’s would come after him when the Red Sox threw all that money at him.  There was a bit of admiration toward the Buck/Jones clubhouse oh so long ago.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I was hoping more like 3/60.  Houston is pondering whether it is worth giving him a qualifying offer.  IMO, this is the type of pitcher the O's need to stabilize the rotation, if they want to compete.  Of course, if they don't want to compete, they can just keep cycling non prospects thru the rotation.  There is no big long term contracts keeping the O's from signing anyone.  Oh well, I'm sure we'll see more Harvey/Milone/Eshelmann type moves. 

There are some red flags with Greinke. Posted the worst FIP (4.71) over any full season in his career including his second season where Greinke struggled mightily. Also the worst SO9 (6.3) since his second season and worst HR9 (1.6) since his rookie season.

Greinke is going to be 38 years old and he is less likely to improve on any of those numbers next season, and especially if he's pitching in the AL East.

I'm a big Greinke fan and would loved to have gotten him several years back, but unless it's at a bargain, I'd prefer to pass on him at this stage of his career. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would target Grienke over Price.  Obviously Grienke is a free agent and won't require prospects.  He is the kind of veteran starter who has been durable and would be good influence on younger pitchers.  I don't see the O's making that kind of financial commitment.  Probably could be signed on 3 year deal, or even 2 years , w/ an option. 

Means, Grienke, Gray Rod would be a formidable 1,2,3.  If the O's sign an affordable 5th starter and one of the myriad of mediocre pitching prospects steps up, they could have an above average starting rotation, IMO.  The 5th starter would be signed for a year, so Wells will have a spot in 2023 (assuming he gets healthy and keeps on a path to the majors. 

Greinke would never sign here

On 8/6/2021 at 12:24 PM, Sports Guy said:

My guess is that you could get him for next to nothing in the offseason. 

There is risk in this that he falls apart at his age, that the K rate keeps declining, etc…but it’s a 1 year deal that could pay big dividends for the team.  

There is risk, but nothing extraordinary that stops me from getting this done.

Definitely should be a target.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

I’d prefer Stroman to Price, but I’m not sure either is a possibility.

The question is how much would Stroman have to be paid to come here and is there even a chance the Angelos brothers will pay what it takes. Also there's a certain point where you can't justify overpaying a player.

The one question I have with Stroman is how do pitchers his size (5'7" & 180lbs) age compared to your typical 6'0"+ starter. Sig and his analytics team can answer that question. 

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Stroman is projected to get a four-year deal or more.  I'm becoming a fan of Stroman, but, I'm not a fan of giving a pitcher a four or five year deal in free agency.

I’m not either but I would do it anyway.  At some point, this team is going to need to start taking some chances and, as far as risks go, I think he is a safe one.

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The question is how much would Stroman have to be paid to come here and is there even a chance the Angelos brothers will pay what it takes. Also there's a certain point where you can't justify overpaying a player.

The one question I have with Stroman is how do pitchers his size (5'7" & 180lbs) age compared to your typical 6'0"+ starter. Sig and his analytics team can answer that question. 

FWIW. I'd imagine you see higher success rate with a taller pitcher, due to a greater angle in which the pitch is coming in at.  But, naturally it seems harder the taller you get to have all of your body parts move in sequence and have high rates of success.  Ex. Daniel Cabrera. 

2 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

FWIW. I'd imagine you see higher success rate with a taller pitcher, due to a greater angle in which the pitch is coming in at.  But, naturally it seems harder the taller you get to have all of your body parts move in sequence and have high rates of success.  Ex. Daniel Cabrera. 

That was Randy Johnson's issue for the first part of his career. He was extremely wild because he couldn't replicate a consistent pitching motion to keep the ball around the strike zone. 

Stroman is younger than Price and Greinke and I'd think be a safer gamble. There is always going to be risk acquiring a pitcher, but if the O's do plan to be competitive in 2023-25, then I don't see how it happens without acquiring any starting pitchers. 

On 10/21/2021 at 2:52 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/413684-you-must-be-this-tall-to-dominate-mlb-the-12-best-pitchers-ever-u.amp.html

I don’t think it matters much. Good pitchers are good at pitching. Size matters to a degree, but I’d rather have the most athletic guy who can also pitch.