Sunday August 8: Orioles vs Rays

SteveA

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He also was very good in 2012 when he returned to the majors as a reliever.   He had a 1.35 ERA in 18 appearances.  He did allow a big homer to Ibanez in the playoffs that year though.   

Yes, that was actually when he was best. I was at that game at Yankee Stadium and cdn't believe that (a) Adam Jones misplayed the Jeter flyball into a triple; (b) Johnson gave up the first Ibanez homer in the 9th for the tie; (c) Matusz gave up the second in extra innings for the loss. Was a long trudge out of the Bronx. A few empty blue Bud bottles came down our way from the plaza above.

Just now, LA2 said:

Yes, that was actually when he was best. I was at that game at Yankee Stadium and cdn't believe that (a) Adam Jones misplayed the Jeter flyball into a triple; (b) Johnson gave up the first Ibanez homer; (c) Matusz gave up the second in extra innings. Was a long trudge out of Yankee Stadium. A few empty blue Bud bottles came down our way from the plaza above.

Jones misplay is forgotten by some. 

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm not exactly sure how the Orioles get through the top on the ninth inning without giving up another couple runs. 

WE DID IT! ALL HAIL THE KNIGHT! (The Dustin' Knight, not the Dark one.)

13 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Yes I think Elias prefers the Orioles to lose while he is doing the rebuild.  You can tell the easiest he wants us to lose when you remember he did nothing for our starting pitching in the offseason.  He intentionally went into the season with a bunch of AA guys who had maybe a little time at AAA.  It did not take a genius to realize we were built to lose.  And lose we are. 

Late 2020 season results seemed to suggest that something would emerge from Kremer, Akin, and Zimmerman. Harvey seemed poised for a comeback, according to those who worked closely with him in the off-season. So there was something, not nothing. A lot of things didn't work out this year, just like they haven't so far for the Mets and, until recently, the Phillies.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You have to relish the small victories with a team like this, lol. 

Baseball provides for that, fortunately. It's a long grind with many little rhinestones along the way.

9 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Yes I think Elias prefers the Orioles to lose while he is doing the rebuild.  You can tell the easiest he wants us to lose when you remember he did nothing for our starting pitching in the offseason.  He intentionally went into the season with a bunch of AA guys who had maybe a little time at AAA.  It did not take a genius to realize we were built to lose.  And lose we are. 

Since we'll never know, this is (as Bob and Ray would say) strictly hypocritical. But if Elias is trying to win fewer big-league games (and I recognize he's probably under severe budget strictures from ownership, and he's permitted to delay promotions as the CBA encourages him to do), it's my opinion that he should be fired and never work for an ML team again. The GM's job is to try to build a team, under the circumstances and with the limitations imposed on him, as many games as possible. Once you allow teams not to do that, you've undermined the basis of the sport. I realize that most people don't agree with me, and that's OK with me.