Olney on O’s losing

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In other words, Olney is mad that he doesn't live in another universe where the financial realities of MLB, the CBA, and circumstances of history conspire to incentivize a lot of teams to not win now in the hopes of winning later.  Wouldn't it be beautiful if everyone were all in all the time and that was sustainable and realistic?  Sure.  We all have dreams.

He and many others also ignore the best players in the sport rarely make it to FA in their prime. The Orioles can spend $30M on assorted FA’s next year. They paid Manny league minimum in 13. He knows that but doesn’t care.  

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So now it’s because they have lost 106 games..not just 100.

That is his way around the “why not criticize Houston” crowd

He can stop bitching about “tanking” when all players become FA’s after every season. 

It’s like complaining someone should pay $25 for a Happy Meal. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

He can stop bitching about “tanking” when all players become FA’s after every season. 

It’s like complaining someone should pay $25 for a Happy Meal. 

Olney would tear apart the Orioles if they spent money on veteran free agent only to end up 75-87 every season. Olney would argue the goal is to make the playoffs in baseball and not to be mediocre. And the case would be made for investing in player development and going through a few lean years, but it would be worth it when the team is a playoff contender again. 

Seems like he is just taking the contrarian viewpoint just for the hell of it. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think it's more likely that 92-year-old Peter Angelos is in no shape to make rational (even prior Peter Angelos "rational") decisions on things like that.  When someone of that age has been avoiding public appearances for years it's often because they're not altogether in control of their faculties.

It's possible, but he was a sharp, sharp legal mind for a very long time.  I can see why you'd say that but IMO the brain can sometimes deteriorate due to lack of action.  I'm not sure if Angelos is sitting around watching Price is Right or still advising on legal matters.  No one really seems to know.  At his age with his wealth, it's a privilege not to have to deal with the public, being in control of their faculties or not.  One should be so lucky.  

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He just tweeted this back to me:

No, it was actually something like the 1935 Boston Braves.  Who had a HOF manager, Babe Ruth, Wally Berger and some other talent but declined from 78 wins to 38-115 because sometimes everything goes wrong and snowballs and craters.  The 2018 Orioles had 70 or 80 win talent, but it just all imploded at once.  We're probably lucky it did, otherwise they may not have hit the reset button and just tried to patch holes like it was 2006.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He just tweeted this back to me:

I dont twat, but if I did I would say-I am sure Elias cares what you think and it is only 3 years in order to put together a team that is hopefully competitive for years to come. Competitive as in actually has a chance to make the playoffs not 75 wins so you are happy they spent money on free agents that dont move the needle that much.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No, it was actually something like the 1935 Boston Braves.  Who had a HOF manager, Babe Ruth, Wally Berger and some other talent but declined from 78 wins to 38-115 because sometimes everything goes wrong and snowballs and craters.  The 2018 Orioles had 70 or 80 win talent, but it just all imploded at once.  We're probably lucky it did, otherwise they may not have hit the reset button and just tried to patch holes like it was 2006.

The worst thing that could have happened in 2018 was the Orioles being an 80 win team. They would have likely made more trades to mortgage the future in a futile effort to grab a wildcard spot. And there would likely be no Elias hired following the season, but the necessity for the rebuild would have only been pushed off for a year or two. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The worst thing that could have happened in 2018 was the Orioles being an 80 win team. They would have likely made more trades to mortgage the future in a futile effort to grab a wildcard spot. And there would likely be no Elias hired following the season, but the necessity for the rebuild would have only been pushed off for a year or two. 

Likely no trades of Machado and Schoop and the others, just letting them all play out their deals or signing some of the lesser players to ill-advised extensions.  No focus on development and analytics.  No investment in the Dominican.  No #7 farm system, instead gutting it to try desperately for a wildcard.  

In other words, instead of tearing down your decrepit old house and building a new one you slap on some new vinyl siding and a bucket of paint and wonder why the foundation starts listing 10 degrees under the bedroom.  Yes, it sucks to have to spend time and money building a new house.  But eventually you have a new house.